outboard engine lanyard and reverse

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Page 83
admiral
admiral

outboard engine lanyard and reverse

Post by Page 83 »

I have cut the engine raising lanyard (and spun the hub) twice now by shifting to reverse. I'm guessing the mechanical reverse latch is letting the engine rise too much, creating the slack which gets sucked into the prop at the absolute least opportune time. HELP!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Engine lanyard problems

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Every time I drop my engines I pull hard on the lanyard to be sure the engine is locked down. If not, I open the locker and manually push it down. You should hear a click when the lock engages. You may need to grease the pivot shaft. The lock spring also may need greasing so it will engage automatically when dropping the engine.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108

Post by Guest »

That's my standard routine too. These happened in spite of checking the engines for a good latch. Besides, on the most recent event the reverse latch was still hooked, and the engine was far enough aft to snarl the lanyard!
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

You also might try shortening the lanyard so only the exact amount of rope you need is on the engine side of the 'hole'. This is done by lowering the engine, then making the 'stopper knot' come right to where the rope goes down into the 'hole'

- Kevin Smith
Phenix 32007
Chicago
Oceania

Outboards

Post by Oceania »

Sandy;

The lock tab on the Yamahas slides port and starboard. In one position they will lock the engine down, in the other they will not. Since I now own Hondas, I cannot remember which direction is lock and which is unlock.

Listen for the locking click, if you do not hear it slide the locking tab port or starboard.

Roger Pollard
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Engine lanyard

Post by Page 83 »

Dilemma resolved. The engine mount clamps weren't tight enough. The engine was rotating up from the mounting board in the well. DOH. If I'd followed advice and really given it a tug after lowering the engine, I would have saved myself a swim.
leehenderson
deckhand
deckhand

Outboard lockdown

Post by leehenderson »

I alwaws check to see that the engine is locked down when lowering the Yamaha 9.9. Also I tie a not in the line so it is tight when down. Also check the line pully on the lower end of the engine. It should not be a swivel pully but rather fixed so it will not swivel. This stops the line from rapping on itself. I have had my PDQ for 12 years and using this procedure am still using the origional engine lowering line on one of my engines.
Lee Henderson, Marco Island, FL