Tilt tube lock

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Tilt tube lock

Post by Marc Gershel »

The tilting lock handle on one of my engines is frozen in place. I've sprayed it with penetrating oil & WD-40 to no avail. Will grease in the tilt tube fitting help my situation? I've had to lash down the engine to keep it from kicking up when I'm in reverse.
Marc
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have a spare engine that had the same problem. I greased the tilt tube and some of the grease escaped onto the spring. I also sprayed the entire spring with a teflon lube and began slowly working it back and forth. After a while the range of movement was extended to where it was functioning again. I still could not get it to have the free movement of my newer engines.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Thanks Ron, I'll try that.
Marc
Oceania

Yamaha

Post by Oceania »

Marc;
Sounds like the locking tab moved left or right. Try moving (port or starboard) it back into the locking position.

Roger
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Marc,

I've had the same problem on several engines. What a pain!

Yamaha has redesigned this system several times. It seems they have made it worse rather than better!

I think the nylon parts get compresseed or swell after time binding the lever. You may have to remove the whole works and replace the bad parts. Hope NOT!!

Chet
Allezcat 36010