In-water oil change

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

In-water oil change

Post by Ed Ellis »

I have 2003 4-stroke Yamahas that are due for an oil change. There's a plug in the back of the engine that's removed, and the old oil pours out. The first time I changed the oil, the boat was on the hard so preventing spillage was not a problem. Now the boat's in the water, it's hard for me to image how to use drain plug without making huge mess. Does anyone have suggestions for how to change the oil in a safe manner (e.g., no spillage) without having to remove the engine other than sticking a tube down the oil fill hole and pumping the old oil out?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Yamaha Oil Change

Post by Allezcat »

Ed,

I think the dipsick tube tube is the only way. In the past I used a drill pump by Jabsco but now use a hand pump to suck the oil to a plastic container for disposal. It works great and takes only a few minutes. As you know, there is only one quart per engine to suck out.

Another procedure I learned from other PDQers is to remove the oil screens, hold them over a glass pickle jar and blast them with automotive carburetor cleaner using the little pipete that comes with the can. It cleans them very well for reuse. I then discard the dirty cleaner with the oil.

By the way, I also installed 2003 engines and one of them seems to have a chronic minor intrusion of seawater into the lower unit evidenced by a milky mixture when I check it. Eventually this could cause a breakdown of the unit so I will pursue it under warranty. I did have the same problem with this engine when changing the lower unit gear oil after the 25 hr run-in. The dealer replaced the shift rod seal under warranty at that time. Unfortunately I think the only way to check the lower units is to pull the engine or if the boat is hauled. I have the luxury of having the boat on a lift so I can work under it. You ar welcome to the lift if you are ever in the Punta Gorda, Fl area.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I also use the method that Chet discusses. There is essentially no mess and you can store the used oil in the container until you reach a place where you can dispose of it. If you tilt the engine a little bit, you can get the last amount of oil out.

Also, I carry a spare filter assembly and oil dipstick just in case I drop one overboard.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

The method I use is to tape a 1/2 gallon ZipLock bag under the drain plug.
I use strips of Duct tape to fasten it. .
THERE ARE HAZARDS TO USING THIS METHOD!
Use a paper towel to clean the area under the plug.
You must insure a good seal between the lower end and the bag.
You need to assist shaping the bag as it fills.
Ensure that the tape and bag don’t interfere with the drain plug removal.
Always have paper towels ready to catch any leakage.
If I can find a hand pump that works better than the last two I tried, I’ll give Chet's method another go.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Everyone, For the last 5 years I've been using a 2 gal. oil can with a vacuum hand pump on it. I think it's called "Topside". I pump all the air out of the can, insert the hose into the dipstick tube, release the clamp, & it sucks all the oil into the can. The whole process, for both engines, only takes a few minutes, without spilling a single drop. I have had to carry the can for over a week sometimes before finding a place to empty it.
Marc Here's 2 Life 36021
Rich Tanner 36083
1st mate
1st mate

Oil Changes

Post by Rich Tanner 36083 »

Thanks Marc, bought one today
leehenderson
deckhand
deckhand

Post by leehenderson »

I pump the oil out through the oil dip stick hole, not the oil filler hole. The dip stick hole leads directly to the bottom of the oil pan which is difficult to reach through thr oil filler. This is the simplist, safest, and cleanest way to do it. Oil Hand pumps are not expensive and are available at most any marine retail store.
Lee Henderson, Marco Island, FL
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

The May 15th issue of Practical Sailor rates the Tempo oil boy and West Marine oil vac as the best manual oil changers,however the Jun 15th issue notes that the pump seal on the Tempo wears quickly and is not replaceable.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Check out the new Pela 2000 Oil-Extractor at http://www.pelaproducts.com