Shift Linkage Problems

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Shift Linkage Problems

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I just had a problem that may be of interest to some. My shift linkage jammed and would not allow the shift lever to move. I mistakenly started at the shift lever to investigate the problem. After removing the entire shift mechanism, I determined the problem to be at the motor. The end of the control cable is composed of two sleeves and the inner one had corroded and was jammed in the outer one. After removing the cables from the motor I could twist the sleeves and release the jam and then grease them to restore movement. All of this could have been prevented if I had greased these on a frequent basis. I also broke the neutral start switch in the shift mechanism when I pulled the shift levers from the mount.... Anyone have an idea where I can get a replacement?
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I found a supplier that stocks all sizes of cables for the Morse-Teleflex control sets. They also were able to supply the neutral detent switch. If you need to replace anything on your shift controls, try Shoreway Marine. 1 800 443-5408.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I by-passed my bad neutral switch, just to get my engine started, and never put in a new one. I got the replacement switch from my local Yamaha dealer.
Marc
Catrina
1st mate
1st mate

Type of Grease

Post by Catrina »

What type of grease do you recommend using on the cables?
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Any marine grease should be adequate.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108