Electric shock from Yamaha 9.9

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Electric shock from Yamaha 9.9

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Just finished crossing Lake Michigan today - 20-30 knots of wind, broad reach, 6-8 foot waves. A fast, rough ride.

Anyway, when we got to the harbor, Dawn starts the engines and puts them in gear. The port engine has a little trouble starting. On the port engine, I get an electric shock "tingle" from the shift lever - the tingle gets stronger as I give the engine power. The tingle comes only when I am touching the wheel (grounded?).

Anybody have a clue what is happening, and what I should look for? Maybe something came un-grounded?

- Kevin
s/v Phenix 32007
Chicago
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

electric shock

Post by Knotty Cat »

It sounds like the alternater wire is shorting out to the engine. If it was battery voltage it would not increase with speed.
Aquila 32/31
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aquila 32/31 »

Twelve volts shouldn't give you a shock. Sounds more like something from the high tension feed to the plug(s).

Martin
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

My mechanic and I spent an hour or so troubleshooting. Finally, we found that the starter mechanism had come loose, so when the engine was being revved, it was probably rattling the starter wheel against something, causing some electric current in the engine. This traveled up the cables to the shifts. He tightened down the starter and this solved the problem.