Outboard Flushing

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Outboard Flushing

Post by Passage Back »

What does the POA suggest for techniques & frequency of flushing the outboards? Owners manual's usually recommend after each use in salt water. Seems unlikely given outboard mounting location, crusing areas, etc.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Mike,

I find it almost immpossible to flush these engines after use unless you want to get into the water under the boat to put the "C-clamps" on the lower units and hook them to a hose.
I did see one interesting article recently which I intend to try. The writer took a large plastic wastebasket and attached a "swimming noodle" around the top of it just under the lip. He then put fresh water into it while holding it in the saltwater until almost full. Using a rope tied to the top of the basket he maneuvered the basket under the raised motor. He then lowered the motor into the fresh water and ran the engine (at neutral idle) to flush it.

Chet White
Allezcat 36010
Stepping Stone

Yamaha Flushing

Post by Stepping Stone »

Mike,
I purchased 2 flush adapters from Yamaha - removed the flush plugs and installed them - I then attached a sort piece of hose with a shut off valve at the end and ran them up the back of the motor tied on with some large wire ties. Now I can flush the engines any time I want and even add Salt Away by just attaching a hose while at the dock - Easy, neat, and simple. Roger Wood
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Roger,

What keeps the engine from sucking saltwater in when using the flush ports?

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Stepping Stone

Flushing Yamaha's

Post by Stepping Stone »

Chet - That's a good question - and I really don't know except that when I taste the water coming out of the flow indicator it is completly fresh (at least to taste) It may be that the flush entrance is closest to the intake of water. In either case it seems to work, and is easier than any other method I've come across. Roger
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Thanks Roger,
Evidently the fresh water supply exceeds the engines appetite for cooling water and the excess flows out the bottom of the engine blocking the seawater.
Chet
Allezcat
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Chet, The way I understand it is that the engine does not have to be running, when using the "WASH" port with a hose.
I haven't tried this method , because I can't get the *%#@ screw out.
Marc[/u]
Aquila 32/31
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Aquila 32/31 »

Marc Gershel wrote:...............I haven't tried this method , because I can't get the *%#@ screw out.
Marc............
Try carefully using a hand held impact wrench (the type you strike with a hammer).