Honda 15 hp

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

Honda 15 hp

Post by Oh Sea Dee »

I recently brought our 32 to it's new home in South Florida from Maryland. The weather forced me to motor most of the way. New Honda 15 hp, 4 stroke outboards had been recently installed on our boat. I believe that they made for a faster and quieter trip, but......they don't fit. I cannot close the hatch covers when the motors are tilted up for sailing or for storing out of the water.
If you have installed these motors on your boat, please tell me what alterations were made to cure the above problem.
I would also like input on the Yamaha 9.9 hp, 2 stroke motors. I may have to trade my Hondas in to get motors that will fit.
Ted Cook
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

motor fit

Post by doubledutch »

I looked at your boat when I was shopping - at the time the Hondas were 1/2 installed and it clearly looked like there was going to be a size problem.
I have noted reports of others on this site having installed the 15 hp. Hondas in the PDQ36 so there must be a little more room in their motor wells. Possibly there is a 36 owner out there who would like a little more power and would be interested in trading their 9.9 's for your 15's.
Simon Slater

Outboard motors

Post by Simon Slater »

We at PDQ Yachts are still able to get the original engines. In fact our local supplier has laid in a stock of 20 engines or so. He seams to be supplying all of our customers with engines. Having said that we are well aware of the difficulties that many are experiencing in procuring these engines. We are this winter building our first honda powered factory installed 36. Hull #99. We should have a much better idea of the ramifications of this instal after that. We expect however that there will probably be modifictions to the engine bracket, deck molding and hatch. It apppears that it c an fit but that will be about all that can be done with it. Frankly I do not believe that there will be much difference between the two engines as the problems that exist with the yanmar are mostly inherent with all outboards. And frankly I believe that the majority of the problems that have occured with the yamaha's may be likely to occur with Honda's. Once we have fiddled with the Honda We will be creating a rerofit manual and or parts requirement and quite likely a modified deck splash if required.
Thanks
Simon
Stepping Stone

Yamahas

Post by Stepping Stone »

Hi Simon,
Can I contact your supplier to inquire about the Yamahas? Can you E-Mail the number? Thanks, Roger Wood RBWOODBK@Aol.com
Oceania

Outboard Engines

Post by Oceania »

Simone;
The Honda BF 15 fits in the 36' motor well. However you have to drop the nansel (engine bracket) to get it in.

The only modification that would be needed to install the BF 15 from the top, would be to make the engine well cover in the same fashion as on the 32'.

On the 32' the top and side of the motor well lift when the motor well cover is opened. On Oceania just the top of the motor well opens.

If the top and side opened not only could the motor fit from the top but the oil filter would be easier to change.
Oh Sea Dee
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Oh Sea Dee »

Thanks to all of you for your ideas and information.
I have found that when the Honda 15 is tilted up for sailing or storing, the cowling cover contacts the motor well hatch on the top, lifting the hatch 3"-4", as well as contacting the hatch cover side, deflecting the cover out about 1".
I'm leaning toward modifing the hatch cover by cutting out areas and glassing in raised up or extended sections to accomadate the larger motor and cowling cover. I'm hesitant to cut the transom to lower the engine mount. A Honda dealer had also suggested lowering the entire motor assembly, but after measuring, I found that the tilt motor and fluid resevior would be half submerged, positioned about three inches under water.
Ted Cook
Simon Slater

Honda engines

Post by Simon Slater »

The hatch was changed already about hull # 55. There is a much better access now. Of course I can't add anymore to the story because Honda is proving to be just as hoprless to deal with as Yamaha. Will let all know what is going on as we progress with project