1989 200hp yamaha

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
capj66

1989 200hp yamaha

Post by capj66 »

Hi all, I have a small problem. My motor starts fiine, and runs great until 4100 RPM. At 4100 or above it runs for a few seconds and then dies as if it is out of fuel. I let of the throtel for a few seconds and as lond as I do not go above 4000RPM she will run fine all day. There is half a tank of last years fuel mixed with half a tank of freash fuel. The fuel/water filter is brand new. Any help will be greatly apreciated. Email me back at capj66@adelphia.net Thank you.
B Sardo
deckhand
deckhand

200 hp Yamaha???

Post by B Sardo »

My question is; are you not going fast enough at 4000 rpm? I expect you should be seeing 15-20 knots by then. :shock:

Bob

Post by Guest »

Hi, I had a problem similar to yours a few years ago, and it turned out to be lack of oil pressure. As soon as the oil pressure dropped the engine speed would drop to idle, then as soon as the pressure went up everything would be normal, for a while. An oil change solved the problem. I'm not sure why, maybe some dirt or paper got in with the previous oil change. All I know is that it never happened again.
Marc
capj66

Post by capj66 »

The motor is a 2-stroke so no oil change required. As far as the RPM's it is suppose to produce 5500RPM at WOT (Wide Open Throttle). Thanks for the input thus far.
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

The folks here on the PDQ forum are knowlegeable about the 9.9 four stroke engine. It has a max rpm of 5000 and cruise at about 4000.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108