9.9 Yamaha Trouble shooting

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
wgfischer
deckhand
deckhand

9.9 Yamaha Trouble shooting

Post by wgfischer »

One of my engines will not start. The engine was running perfectly two days ago. Now when there is absolutly no effect when turning the key to the start position. The fuse on the engine looks good and I can measure 13.8 volts at the starter solinoid. Does anyone have a most likely problem? I guess I ll start replacing the cheapest item and keep going til I find the problem.
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Yamahas

Post by Dan White »

This happened to us when we picked the boat up at the factory and motored across Lake Ontario. When we got to the US the motors just would not restart. After checking everything we could think of we called the factory. I had no clue what to do. Fortunately the guy at the factory was able to walk us through a comprehensive trouble-shooting. After eliminating various things we finally pinpointed the problem as loose connections in the cabinet under the throttle bodies. They had vibrated loose. We reconnected them and they started right up.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Mike Martin on Distant Music had a similar problem. We also had voltage at the starter. It turned out to be a corroded connection of the battery wire at the circuit breaker, which in his boat was mounted in the engine well, a most corrosive environment. You might also check connections at the start solenoid or the solenoid itself. Good Luck!
Chet - Allezcat
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

you need to check for voltage on the small wire which goes to solenoid from the key. if while turning the key you get no voltage there, then you need to back up the starter circuit. if you do it's in connection to solenoid or solenoid/ starter, etc.

we had a 9.9 on our iroquois, but don't remember details of starter circuit.

good luck

john cummings
duetto mv 23
wgfi
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wgfi »

Thanks for the help. It was the spade terminal in the the throttle quadrant falling off it's start in gear switch.