Starter problems - 9.9 Yamaha

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Starter problems - 9.9 Yamaha

Post by Cat Tales »

Our port engine starter is not engaging the flywheel. The problem started originally with no power to the motor due to worn-through power cables. I have soldered them (as a temporary fix while my new cables are delivered), but I can't get the starter to engage. Upon turning the key, the starter wheel spins, but the teeth don't lift to engage the flywheel. Does this mean my starter has gone bad or could it be my wiring? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

If I recall, the centre part pops up. Try lubtrcant and if that does not work you may have to rebuild.

Don Wilson
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

starter

Post by doubledutch »

I have not had the problem however the service manual indicates that the cause is most often a corroded or gummed up bendix. They suggest disassembly, cleaning and lubrication. According to the assembly illustration there is a keeper ring at the end of the shaft that can be removed to allow the other parts to come off the shaft.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Thanks for the repsonses & suggestions. Since I have been very good at taking things apart (and not putting them back together properly) since about 5 yrs old, I will try cleaning & lubricating before I try the rebuild. I'll post my results when successful.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

Yamaha starting problem

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

I was with a friend on a newly purchased used boat and we had the problem of the starter gear "popping up." Someone more knowlegeable suggested reversing the battery wires. Voila! a quick fix. So, pull the starter cable to see the direction of turn appropriate for the starter. If it is not what your starter is turning, reverse the cables. Alex Kehayes, 36073.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Thanks for the thoughts on switching the wires. Since my problem started when the wire harness chaffed through completely, it is possible that the starter is spinning in the wrong direction. I am in the process of replacing the wiring harness, then tackle the starter, (I have already lubricated the bendix). I'll let everyone know which fix worked.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Starter problem is fixed. After installing the new wire harness & lubricated the "shaft" & bendix of the starter, she fired right up. It seems the problem was with the wiring harness. At first the starter wasn't getting the proper amount of power, then as the wire harness chaffed through more, no power was being supplied to the engine (even after temporarily soldering the cable). In addition to the black cable wraps, which were also chaffed through, I've installed extra chaffe protection to the area where the harness rubs against the motor carrying handle.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Boynton Beach, FL