Tilt lock (a.k.a.tilt lever) Problems

Post here for issues with outboard engines (i.e Yamaha 9.9) on PDQ yachts
ATTITUDE
skipper
skipper

Tilt lock (a.k.a.tilt lever) Problems

Post by ATTITUDE »

The starboard engine kicks up in reverse because the tilt lock lever does not engage. And of course when it does it wraps the engine lift cord around the prop!
In an older thread on this topic it was recommended that the tilt lock be moved to the right or left. Mine doesn't budge.

Before moving the boat from N.C. to sunny Florida it was supposedly fixed - twice! Once by the previous owner as part of the deal and once by another yard.

Wondering what others have experienced.

Tnx,
Doug
s/v ATTITUDE
Latis (32028)
1st mate
1st mate

Tilt lock

Post by Latis (32028) »

I have the same problem.. I have a little aluminum tab on the front that you are supposed to lift up to lock the engine in place - but the whole mechanism is frozen up and the locking tabs bend now when you try to pull them down or up(on both outboards) I assume these fragile tabs took some abuse in the chartering industry. For now I use reverse very carefully and my long term solution is getting new outboards this winter since the ones I have are essentially spent.
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

tilt lever

Post by doubledutch »

One of my tilt locks was temperamental for a while. It requred a combination of lubrication and bending to restore the shape ( it had been bent to one side a bit) after which it worked fine.
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Frozen tilt locks are a common problem on the 9.9 Yamaha. I have had some short term success using copius amounts of WD40 sprayed on the mechanism under the lock lever but the only real fix is to pull the engine, dissassemble, and lubricate the whole system (which can be a real challenge!)
Good Luck
Chet
captain Hank

yamahas pop up in reverse

Post by captain Hank »

On Catnap when an engine pops up in reverse, I tighten the engine clamps on that engine, and the problem stops.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I gave up and rigged a simple strap arrangement that's easy to use. Both of my engines have been damaged over the years because of the hold down not working properly.

Marc Gershel Here's 2 Life