PHENIX (32007) in Chicago 2006

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

PHENIX (32007) in Chicago 2006

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

I am going to try to use this thread to post some pictures and reports of during our summer on Phenix. I hope I can be dedicated enough to this to keep it up. Comments welcome!

-----------------------

April 18, Dawn and I drive 27 miles to East Chicago Marina to get Phenix ready and launch her. We hose down the bottom then I put some bottom paint (freshwater VC17) on the bare spots, I use less than a quart! Dawn strings the trampoline alone but I eventually help her because it takes two people 4 times less time to do it. Tramp up, Phenix cockpit hosed down (but still incredibly dirty), we still have time before launch so I tighten the shrouds the three full turns I loostened them in October and we put the genoa on. Lunch on the front bench ... sailing season has begun.

Launch the boat, wave bye to Dawn, who will drive back to Chicago and I am off for the 18 mile motor back to Chicago. I'm headed WNW and the wind is 12-17 knots from the North. I think about putting the genoa up but instead I motor all the way. My mechanic has rebuilt the carbs on both engines so I want to give both engines a nice long run. I alternate between 2600-3200 RPMs and my speed is between 5.6 and 6.4 knots. Short 1.5 foot chop on the beam makes for slightly uncomfortable ride, enough to keep me up in the cockpit instead of doing boat tasks below. Read the paper, listen to the radio, I like being on Phenix alone.

Before long, I'm approaching Chicago harbor. Get the fenders and lines ready, call Dawn, she meets me over at the dock. Pull in and a line has fallen over the side that I did not see, and it promptly fouls the prop on the starboard engine. It dies. But I didn't see the line fall over, so I didn't know why at the time. Try to restart the engine, and the entire electric system on the boat dies. Blown fuse, I'm sure. Oh sh*t, now I can't continue to turn the boat properly with just one engine to dock in my slip, I'm only 20 feet away! Ok, "been there, done that before" so I just get into another slip. Dawn has to teach a class in 30 minutes so we just leave Phenix there and head off..

Go visit Phenix today and replace the fuse (called Chris at PDQ to find the location of the fuse), it is on the interior side of the wall next to the starboard engine, 100 amp. Then I "borrow" (steal) a floating raft that another boat has and I get into it and float under the boat and unfoul the prop (love these engines that raise!). Like magic, everything starts and runs perfectly (hours before, Dawn said "oh great, a day of shouting at the marina"), move the boat to it's proper home. Now, Phenix needs to be cleaned!!!
Last edited by Phenix-former-owner on Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

View of Chicago from Phenix, April 18, 2006

-
--