Okeechobee Waterway

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Okeechobee Waterway

Post by Lady of the Lake »

We always thought the PDQ36 was to tall to do the whole length of the Okeechobee Waterway but I am hearing that some of you have done it in a 36. Anyone want to pass along some of your experiences?

Thanks,
Sam and Gina
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Okeechobee

Post by SecondWind »

Sam & Gina,

We have done it twice. The railraod bridge is 49 feet (about 6 feet wide). Our antennas touch with a mast 47 feet above the water. The Lockmaster at the east side of the lake (Port Mayaca Lock) can tell you if the lake is at normal pool or if it is high. Be sure and call him before you enter the canal system, especially if we have a lot of rain.

Allezcat has also been through.

There are also a few places to anchor (See Captain Bob's)

Come on over and sail Charlotte Harbor with us and visit us in Punta Gorda.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Two questions:

1. If the bridge is only 6 ft wide how do you fit through with 18'3" of beam? Obviously I am not understanding the 6 ft dimension.

2. Were there different mast heights on the PDQ36? I was under the impression that I have 50 ft of air draft.

Thanks,
Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Hi Guys,

Allezcat (36010)has been through numerous times. As mentioned, the controlling bridge is the rusty old Port Mayaca railroad bridge. It is normally no problem, but one year the lake was high and we waited a week until they lowered the level. Normal clearance is 49ft.

Standard mast height on the PDQ36 was 47ft off the water but there were a few boats fitted with "tall masts". If you have one of these, the boat will not fit.

It is a beautiful waterway with facilities at Stuart, Indiantown, Clewiston and many of the locks. The Corps of Engineers office at Clewiston can advise you of any lock maintainance and bridge clearance.

Chet
Allezcat
Punta Gorda
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

also a nice marina at moore haven just below lock.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Bridge

Post by SecondWind »

Sam,

The width of a bridge is the dimension from side to side of the bridge itself, standing upon it (rail to rail). The dimension which you are thinking of is the span (or length) from one side of the canal to the other, and is far wider than 6 feet.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Hi Terry

Re the width, he was referring to your first entry. Presumably with a dropped "0"
Don Wilson
Next Exit
richard beberman
deckhand
deckhand

Post by richard beberman »

Re the Okeechobee Waterway - CATch22 36022 is now on the waterway and has been for the past 60 dAYS. wE HAVE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME and know from personal experience that the PDQ Classic has a mast height of 46'6" plus the VHF antenna for a total height of less than 50'. The bridge is now at 51' above the waterline and both ends of the Port Mayaca Locks are open as the lake and waterway are level at this time. We have been staying at the Federal COE parks at St. Lucie and W>B> Franklin locks. Wonderful facilities and great price. A boat can make reservations and stay up to 14 days at any lock and repeat once every 30 days. 50% discount for senior citizens. 12.00 including power and water
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Has anyone ever measured their mast?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I have the tall mast (which, I believe, is 4' taller than the regular) and I measured it at 51'. I assume a minimum 54' clearance with the antennas.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Thanks Chris. Have you ever measured just the mast? Mine measured exactly 40 feet from the step to the masthead. Now I just need to measure from the waterline to the mast step (not as easy...)
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Sam,
My mast measures 40ft also. Using a string level and tape, I measure about 7ft from mast step to water.
Chet
Allezcat 36010
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Purrrrrr-fect.

Thanks. My quest comes to an end. Looks like I can make the trip on the Okeechobee. Now if I can only find a way under the Shands bridge in Green Cove Springs so I can do the St. Johns River :-)
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Okeechobee WW clearances

Post by ThomKat »

Just went under the RR bridge at Pt Mayaca yesterday and the height was 51' - if my feeble memory serves me faithfully.
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

How was the trip? Any highlights you care to share? Do's and Don'ts, places to stop, etc. Did you do the rim or cut across?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL