Okeechobee Waterway

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

Lake Okeechobee etc

Post by ThomKat »

Hi Sam,

Can't say that there were any real highlights of the trip. Went across the lake and, with the exception of the lower water level (12.08 when we went through), we didn't notice anything unusual. Before the crossing, we had stopped at Moore Haven City Dock to hide from the squall line that went through on Christmas day and must say that it's a very nice place - along-side docking, neat, clean, 30A and 50A power, and water. Couldn't sample much of the local atmosphere as everything was closed for the holiday. The lift at Moore Haven Lock was only a few inches, and Port Mayaca Lock was a "drive thru". The Port Mayaca lockmaster was suggesting to west-bound traffic that they not try Route 2 (the Rim) due to low water and weeds.
Related to the water level, a good friend in a larger cat (draws 5') hit a very solid rock while traveling in the center of the Moore Haven - Clewiston canal and snapped off a rudder. This happened a few days before we went through. We'll probably see him again today and will post additional location detail if we can get it. If the lake level drops much more, that spot could become a problem even for us (i.e., PDQs).
Tom Walker
ThomKat - MV3475
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No Schedule & Sticking To It
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Rock-Clewiston to Moore Haven

Post by SecondWind »

I believe that Prarie Dream had a similar problem last year in the same area (Rock or other submerged object). Does anyone have a Lat/Long so that we can proceed at very slow speed in that area, and maybe avoid damage. Also, maybe we can get out a Notice to Mariners and find out if the obstruction can be removed.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

i'd love to get location. we'll be crossing in mid-feb.

when we get back to ft myers, i'll see if army corps knows anything.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi,

read a letter in jan 2007 SOUTHWINDS magazine describing an area of okeechobee waterway (MM 73) where a dozen boats have come to grief due to low water level. one searay powerboat lost all its running gear.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23