VA to ME trip

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Bob
admiral
admiral

VA to ME trip

Post by Bob »

Sharon, my wife, and I left Atlantic Yacht Basin in Chesapeake, VA around 8 am on Friday 5/25 for our trip up the coast. We made the sea buoy off Chesapeake Bay before dark and turned North. We ended up motor sailing the entire trip to maintain 6-6.5 kts. Seas were calm the entire distance except for the nasty chop in Buzzards Bay entering the Cape Cod Canal approach. We ended up doing a u turn and going into Pocasset Harbor for the night as it was 11pm and the current was not due to go slack until after 3am. The whole trip was strange in that we never saw another boat on the seas except for NYC and Long Island Sound. We were on alert for barges and commercial shipping because of all the dire warnings but there was very light barge traffic and non existent ship traffic. This was Sharon's first ocean passage and first overnight experience and it couldn't have been more perfect. We arrived in Rockland, ME about 2:30 the following Thursday. First leg was from VA to the other side of Throgs Neck Bridge then to Clinton, CT to a marina ($3.80/') overnite. A long day up to Pocasset for a few hours sleep then overnight to Rockland. I hope our trip back in the fall is as nice!
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Maine

Post by Kokomo »

Congrats on a good passage. We'll leave the Chesapeake in mid-June and head your way for the 4th time. We'll attend the SSCA Gam in Islesboro ME the 1st full weekend in august and then head for Mt. Desert Island. We'll look for you along the way - enjoy!!!
Roger and Bonnie
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Sounds a lot better than the first trip in the GoM!
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL