Okeechobee Waterway

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Okeechobee Waterway

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Just completed the trip across the state on the OWW. Just wanted to pass along a few things. If you have not made this trip, I highly suggest it. It was wonderful. The waterway was beautiful and peaceful. You get to see a nice cross-section of old Florida. And the lake water level is up with no issues. Bridge height is 49 feet at Port Mayaca, our VHF antenna touched (a little too freaky!)

Some interesting places to stay as well. Indiantown Marina was super friendly. The only issue I had was in Ft. Myers and Cape Coral, very congested, and not the most courteous boating group I have encountered.

I will try to take some time and get more details together for the next newsletter. Don't miss this trip if you get the chance.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Okeechobee Waterway

Post by duetto »

we've made this trip 3 times (round trip). we highly recommend a) the city marina in moore haven (cheap & clean) b) campground just east of franklin lock ( really nice, well kept, and good walking) c) anchor just before franklin lock (well protected) d) anchor in bimini basin in cape coral.

watchout for FWC police.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Did you have a problem with the water cops? We saw several but they never bothered us. They sure were pesky going through the slow zone in Ft. Myers. Bumper to bumper traffic in the narrow channel, yet they insisted on boarding boats in the middle of the congestion causing an awful lot of confusion and danger as far as I was concerned.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

yes. in clewiston where channel ends we were doing 1600 rpm/6 knots with < 6" wake. we were stopped and ticketed for violating "no wake" zone. because of lake level last year, buoy was not visible. it was on its side in cattails. the irony was there was a bass tournament going on with 500 boats which were doing 35+ mph in the canal :(
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Weird...

Funny thing is that we went through that same location at the same speed and were passed by one of the local water cops who looked at us like he thought about making a visit but then put her up on plane and left us in his wake. I wonder if it was because we were a sailboat???

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Duetto,
Did you ever have issues in Ft. Myers/Cape Coral or did we just hit it on a bad day?

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

sam,

on your prior note. we thought we got the ticket because we were the only non-bassboat.

we've been through ft myers many times and yes, the police are all around in the speed/no wake zones. worst stretch is from the wilson pigott bridge and downtown ft myers.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

The craziness for us was passing Shell Point. Very narrow and hundreds of boats moving through at idle speeds with the water cops zig zagging through the traffic and "pulling people over" to check for life jackets and stuff. Put us in a tough spot on at least one occasion trying to maneuver around them while staying in the channel. Not sure why they couldn't have done it before or after the tough section...
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL