PDQ 36 & passage making?

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
mono_to_multi
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 36 & passage making?

Post by mono_to_multi »

Hello everyone
I am new to the site and contemplating to switch from my 37' monohull to a moderate size cat. PDQs are often discussed as good and strongly built cats. If there wouldn't be the little detail of money I would love to order a new Antares 44 and take them up on their offer to make the shakedown to Cape Horn with a captain from the factory..... Back to reality:
I am not too familiar with the PDQ 36 but they seem to be in my comfortzone budgetwise. I like the layout but have to check one out to make sure my height of 6'1 with a heavy built is compatible. Are these boats truly bluewater capable?

I know there are teenagers going around and people have crossed oceans in all kind of vessels, down to a rowboat. I don't want to be limited to the Bahams and Caribbean but want to be able to check out the Meds and or South Pacific. I am making the conscious decission to forgo the "opportunity" to built up the account again after the economy disaster ( who guarantees it will not happen again, shortly before I financially rady again?).

So, the date is set, I will retire at 55 next summer with a small kitty and go cruising for xx years.
I am talking about a sensible and safe way for a shorthanded crew, in a pinch even singlehanded.
Any info is appreciated. I feel I should get the best info right here from the people who sail and own these boats.

Thanks for your help.
jak430
skipper
skipper

Re: PDQ 36 & passage making?

Post by jak430 »

We just purchased a PDQ 32 last year and have it in
Mexico now. We plan to retire soon also and want to cruise Mexico for 6 months a year.
Here is a website about a couple who had a PDQ 36 and did full timing cruising aboard 'Pacific' before moving to "Light Speed'.
http://dksail.com/
This forum is a great source of info and I am sure you will find lots of help in your decision.
Congratulations on your upcoming adventures.
John & Regina King
PDQ32
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/dreamcatcherpdq32/
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

I'll take a shot at this, even though my experience has been relatively limited.

First, we also decided that as much as we liked the Antares (this was right after it had come out), we also concluded that it was out of our range if we wanted any dollars left to actually go cruising. Then the opportunity to buy a used (1977) 36 LRC presented itself and we jumped on it! Since then, we have done all coastal cruising (SC to Miami to Key West to the Dry Tortugas to south Fla). We've encountered nothing larger than 6'-8' seas in all that sailing. In even the 6'+ seas (which were nicely rolling), she rode very well. However, heading straight into short, choppy 2'+ seas results in LOTS of pounding on the bridgedeck.

As we have the LRC version, our bottom step was always in the water as the transoms drug through the water. We added a set of hull extensions last summer, which raised the (new) transom out of the water and made a HUGE difference in how well she takes the seas - especially a following sea.

While we plan to cruise the Caribbean, I wanted something that I felt safe crossing an ocean if we wanted to do so. After sailing / chartering quite a few cats in the 32' - 42' range (including 2 36's & a 32) and doing LOTS of research, I know that the 36 is eminently capable of going anywhere I want to take her. A big difference between a coastal cruiser & a blue water boat is that the coastal cruisers have solid foredecks. More storage space but not good when seas wash over the foredeck.

About comfort space - I'm 6'4" & 225 lbs. I keep the hatch for the salon entrance from the cockpit always open & only need to slightly duck my head when moving from the entrance to either hull. The headroom in the hulls is way more than I need (though I do need to duck when moving through the entrance-way to the cabins). Overall, I feel virtually no restrictions due to my height.

Something else that makes the 36 attractive is that it can be single-handed fairly easily. As all lines lead back to the cockpit, other than attaching the main halyard to the sail, you never need to go outside he cockpit for any sail handling duties. VERY nice setup if you're in heavy seas! The main has two reefing lines and, again, you can reef the main from the cockpit. Also, the sails are not as heavy or cumbersome as those on a 40'-44' boat. This is a boat that if something were to incapacitate me, I know my wife could handle getting it back to port by herself (& we are far from teenagers).

Good luck!
Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Asking about a boat's blue water capabilities is utterly meaningless; there are no objective standards so it boils down to one stranger's opinion, using unspecified terms to describe an expectation that may mean something completely different from the other person's interpretation! I'm a moderator on the Cruiser's Forum, and spend a good amount of time dealing with conflicting opinions. I suspect you are really asking for reassurances that your dream is realistic. Let me take a shot at this, but remember its just the opinion of one person, with limited experience (there are still a number of boats and places I haven't sailed) trying to say it with the least ambiguity:

My PDQ 36 will take me everywhere I want to go. It won't like going to places I have no interest in going to. It will go anywhere a Prout has been, provided its is sailed in the same conditions and with the same skills, but that includes places and conditions I don't want to endure, and skills I don't care to use. It will pound in adverse conditions. So will any cat ever made, but some won't start until long after I wouldn't want to be there.

I have been in the the Sea of "O". I'm not going back. I have been in the near east, and that's out too. I have been in high latitudes in the dead of winter. I didn't get the Tee Shirt, but I wouldn't want to wear it anyway. I have been to the Caribbean, and I will continue to go there, even to the exact same beach, sunburn and Montezuma's revenge. The Bahama's are calling me. Belize needs me. The Rio Dulce beckons, the Aleutians don't. I'll see Australia and New Zealand rise above the horizon from Flight Level 380, thank you. If I go to Thailand, I'll have a return ticket waiting at the counter.

In short, If you dream of the joy of sailing under bright skies, on clear blue water, with a wonderful place to anchor at night, You are a PDQ person. If your dreams tend toward standing manfully at the wheel while the furies of the roaring Forties whip stinging spray across your eye patch, you might be happier with a wooden gaff-headed schooner and a crew of salty (smelly) rapscallions with prison records but hearts of gold. You could write a book!

I'm sorry if this sounds condescending and elitist, but I do have an image to maintain(!?!!)

p.s. this is coming from someone who just bought half a Chris White Atlantic 42, If I'm at the wheel, IT won't go anywhere my PDQ won't go!
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

We haven't gone anywhere yet, so my opinion doesn't count for much, but when I hear questions like this I just think of these guys:

http://www.theslapdash.com

If they can do it in a Gemini, why can't we?
mono_to_multi
deckhand
deckhand

Post by mono_to_multi »

Thank you everyone for your posts so far.

I was a little bit surprised by one post but want to continue to keep it about boats in general and the PDQ 36 in particular.

Mike and Rebecca: Thanks for the 2 links. I will check them out next weekend and see what information I might be able to extract there.

Gary : Your input is appreciated. I am especially interested in your add-on to the sterns. It is one of my concerns as well. The 36 was originally designed to carry the 2 OB and it seems the LRC was kind of an afterthought, perhaps requested by the market. I can see how additional boyancy at the sterns can dramatically change not only performance but also safety, especially offshore.When looking at the Manta, that at a later state has been built just 15 miles away from my home in Florida, they started out originally with a 38' originally. Later they added 2 feet to create the Manta 40 and finally found their groove with adding another 2' to make the Manta 42.Unfortunately most Manta are out of my reach.
Did you somewhere on this forum elaborate about your mod? If not may I ask for some details? Thank you.

John & Regina: Thank you for your your link to dksail.com. I already read a little bit about Pacifica, who had the stern extensions done as well if I am not mistaken. But I will revisit their site for same more. Good luck on your upcoming adventures as well. I am sure Mexico is a fine crusing ground as well and doing it 6 month on 6 month off is a lovely option to have. All my best.
GaryWizard
1st mate
1st mate

Post by GaryWizard »

Concerning the extensions, I bought them from David Kane (former owner of Pacifica). He created the original molds in order to build a set for his 36. He now has a fiberglass guy who has the molds & will build sets as ordered. My transom (& 1st step) was always submerged - the extensions brought the waterline back where it should be. We were looking at the Manta from when it was originally a 38' & really wanted the 40' - but the price kept rising just out of our budget.

The original thread for the extensions is in the PDQ36 Forum. I just found some pictures I took after installing them - I'm planning on adding them to that thread.

Gary
s/v Inspiration
PDQ 36 LRC #47
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

Thanks for the link to The Slapdash, Mike and Rebecca! I haven't read all of it yet, but I will, joyfully!
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

The slapdash blog is, in my opinion, one of the most fun to read out there.

There couple are nearing the end of a cruising hiatus where they came back to Canada to earn some more money. I think they are heading back to pick up their boat and continue on soon.
maxicrom
admiral
admiral

Post by maxicrom »

Just an FYI,

Before we decided on our PDQ 36 we looked at a number of Gemini's (and Performance 32's) - we did the factory tour and a test sail on a new out of the box 34 - the bay was kicking with about 15Kts and with the screecher set up we were sending rooster tails off each hull - was really a blast. But... when it came time to decide the differences were clear (room, design, overall manufacturing and detail) PDQ won our vote hands down.

FYI: The Performance owner has done an Atlantic passage on a Gemini and stands behind the boats - the factory is in Annapolis and they like to chat
Mike & Linda
S/V II the Max