On our way south

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

On our way south

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi all

My wife Rebecca and I are currently on the Hudson, on our way south with our newly renamed (Zero To Cruising) PDQ 32. If you are located anywhere on the Chesapeake / ICW route south and you'd like to meet up, give us an email:

zero to cruising at gmail dot com

Mike (and Rebecca)
philiprmcgovern
skipper
skipper

Re: On our way south

Post by philiprmcgovern »

Mike:

If you guys find yourselves in Key West in early December, we'd love to meet up with you. We'll be there several days while we provision and catch our breath for a trip down to Cancun.

Enjoy your trip down the ICW and best wishes,

Phil McGovern
s/v Sunshine
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Thanks Phil. That would be cool.

We are in NYC at the moment, trying to figure our our strategy for getting to Cape May. Wish us luck.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, Did that leg last week. We went straight from Great Kills to Atlantic City, about 90nm. It was an easy motor-sail with light winds on the nose, until we got past Barnegat inlet, then the wind picked up to 18-20 and really slowed us down. Got into A.C. around 11pm. If I had it to do again, I would have turned back for Barnegat while it was still light.
Where are you in NYC? 79th St?
Marc
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hey Marc

We are in great kills right now, hiding out from some weather. It is blowing 15-25 right now and looks like it's going to be crappy until at least Friday.

I think we will stop in Manasquan and visit with a friend. Yesterday, moving from Liberty Island to Great Kills was kind of crazy. Big winds and waves (for us anyway).

http://www.zerotocruising.com/?p=6479

We tried to stop at 79th St. and they told us no multihulls on the moorings!

Mike
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi Mike, Great Kills is a good place to be stuck. Very easy to visit the city from there on the express bus. You'll need $11 in quarters though, unless you're seniors, then it's half price. But I guess you know that.
Well, since you're stuck, try to make the best of it. I'm in Atlantic City. If I can help you in any way, don't hesitate to let me know.
Good Luck, Marc
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

We came thru Hell gate early in the morning last Wednesday, rounded Sandy Hook, and got thru the C&D to Annapolis in 32 hours, motoring all the way. More by luck than skill we caught optimimum tidal currents along the way. I suggest that if the breeze is easterly you should go a bit further out to at least 80' of water, preferably 100', to reduce the wave period. If you luck into a westerly, stay closer in. Remember to take the tidal currents into account on the Delaware, and keep an eagle eye out for barge traffic. They don't all have to stay in the channel, and can come from any direction. Don't go into a southerly flow that's been blowing for a couple days if you can help it! Consider going down the coast at night if you have radar because the waves calm down a bit if the sun isn't pumping a lot of energy into the mix.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi Sandy

Thanks much for the advice.

I think the weather should have improved enough by Thursday for us to get out of here. Our plan is to stop in Manasquan though and visit a friend. From there to AC or Cape May, as the weather allows I guess.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

The inside run from Manasquan to Atlantic City isn't bad if you want to keep moving. Great anchorage just east and north of the Atlantic City bridge. We call it Rum point - not sure of it's actual name.
Roger and Bonnie
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Hi guys

We actually bypassed Atlantic City today, making it from Barneget Bay to Cape May. If we had gone to AC we would have anchored by Rum Cove. We are in Utch's Marina at the moment. Where we will be tomorrow we have no idea. :)
holomoku
skipper
skipper

Post by holomoku »

I'm seeing reports of increasing surf due to the approach of Hurricane Danielle.

What are you seeing out there?
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Although we had primarily West and NW winds, there was definitely a long period swell coming from the east. I "think" they were saying that this was caused by that.
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

If you are in Titusville, Fl in Dec give me a call. 519 494 2825

Don
Don Wilson
Next Exit
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

Will do. Thanks Don.
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Post by Page 83 »

With hurricane Earl looking to menace North Carolina, I hope you are near Savannah or still in the Chesapeake. Have you found a good place to 'hunker down'?
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026