Anyone going to the Bahamas?

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Anyone going to the Bahamas?

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Are you planning to go to the Bahamas this year? Susan and I are returning to the Exumas and would like to meet up with anyone going there also.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

Hi Ron
All things being equal, I'll be spending most of the winter there, in many varied places.

Don
Leadfree
1st mate
1st mate

Bahamas

Post by Leadfree »

Hi guys. We will be going back but not until after Christmas. We are headed back to the Exumas so we can swim. The Abacos were too cold even in March last year.
Sharon & Larry of Lead Free Too
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Allezcat hopes to return to Georgetown leaving Florida late Jan

Chet
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Bahamas

Post by SecondWind »

Second Wind plans to give it a try this year, probably in January.

Terry & Bob :D :D
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Never been to the Exumas, would be interested in trying to get down there for a week around Thanksgiving. Does anyone know of a quality bareboat company who is in the Exumas? Catamaran prefered but not absolutely required.

Or any owner who has a boat there that wants to make a deal for my chartering it for a week? :D

- Kevin
s/v Phenix 32007
Chicago
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Bahamas

Post by Kokomo »

We,ve been waiting 4 years to say "We're ging to the Exumas in mid-January and staying until April-May. We'll be looking for you...

Roger and Bonnie
Kokomo 36080 8)
Roger and Bonnie
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

bahamas charter

Post by doubledutch »

Kevin
Suggest you contact Mike Houghton at charters@sailabaco.net
Goodbye Columbus

Taking the "Thornless Path to the BVI's through the Bah

Post by Goodbye Columbus »

As soon as they finish putting Goodbye Columbus back together after Hurricane Charlie, I will be leaving the West Coast of Florida for the BVI's. Plan to take about six weeks to get there following Bruce Van Sant's The Gentleman's Passages South. Anyone else going?
catnap
deckhand
deckhand

bahamas Exhuma

Post by catnap »

Hi, I plan on going to the Exuma area from North Carolina in early February. This would be our first trip to the Bahamas. Since we are only 2 crew, we will probably head to Florida first.

Can anyone advise me what the best route is Florida or somewhat North to Georgetown, Exhuma?

Has anyone made the trip directly from the Carolinas?

Any advice on anchorages will be most welcome, and I would like to hook up with other PDQ's.

Also the family will want to fly to meet us from Christmas through New Years. Any ideas which is the best airport to try for??

Hank
captain@nedlaw.com
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

We are leaving from the Pamlico River in NC in a week or so. We go down the ICW to Miami and cross from there to Chub and then on to Nassau and then down the Exuma chain to Georgetown. Georgetown has an airport with good service. Staniel Cay also has a small airport that has private service from Nassau. Hope we see you. I think that MOJO has departed from Beaufort, NC and travelled straight to the Abacos before.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
catnap
deckhand
deckhand

Bahamas

Post by catnap »

Due to logistics, I will be meeting my family in Nassau February 18, 2005. We will sail for the week in that area, until they fly back to civilization February 25, 2005, at which time I will continue exploring the Bahamas.

Any tips on where to anchor in Nassau and any other good spots I can visit that week. I have ordered the guidebooks and should be reciving them soon.

Thanks
captain@nedlaw.com
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

You will probably the entering Nassau harbor using the west entrance. It's wide open and not tricky at all. Right after you enter the harbor area, the first thing you'll notice will be a few boats anchored near the shore on your portside. Do NOT attempt to anchor there. Those are working boats with moorings. Transients are not welcome in that area. As you move toward the east, you'll see the cruiseship docks on your portside. About half mile east of there is a large bridge that goes over to Paradise Island. About 200 yards before you get to the bridge is an anchorage on the portside. Holding ground is pretty good, but watch out for getting your hook snagged on old mooring lines that criss-cross the bottom. About midway between the bridge and the crusieship docks is an outdoor resturant with a dinghy dock, and transients are welcome to leave their dinghy there at no charge. They serve pretty good food too! You can't miss it. We usually anchor near that area and catch a cab into town. Fort Charlotte is worth a visit if you're interested in history. Everything else is big-time tourist-trap stuff targeted at the cruiseship crowd.

Just beyond the bridge is an area (portside) where locals sell fresh fish and vegtables. You'll find wonderful conch salad cheaply priced. You'll need a cab or rental car to purchase groceries.

About 3 blocks east of the bridge on the right is a local junk-car rental place that's relatively cheap. You'll see a sign directing you to a side road. It's half a block up a short hill on the right on this side road. Renting a car from these guys may be cheaper than using a cab for groceries and taking a cab round trip to the airport .

Nassau harbor is NOT a great place to spend any time in. LOTS of noise -- disturbances at all hours, speed boats with big wakes, jet skies, etc., but it is a very safe harbor, should you encounter bad weather.

If you purchase fuel in Nassau, it's best to run it through a filter. They have a habit of selling pretty nasty stuff. Don't let brand-name fuel fool you into thinking it's clean. It's probably not. If you can't filter the fuel before it enters your tank, keep an eye on your own fuel filter once underweigh.

You are probably aware that you have to purchase feesh water in the Bahamas. Some of the mariinas will give you the water for free if you purchase fuel from them. Others charge $.30 per gallon or more. Some will just charge a flate rate (e.g., $10) for all the water you want.

The east entrance to Nassau harbor is very doable, albeit you'll need to study the charts. There's a large shoal on the port side that extends a long way, so give it plenty of room. Hope this helps.

Cheers, Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility