Shipping gear to Canada

Questions about places PDQ's go, field reports about where you've been, and crew requests
ELIXIR
1st mate
1st mate

Shipping gear to Canada

Post by ELIXIR »

I will be picking up new PDQ in May and want to ship up necessary gear for use on the boat. It will be a number of large boxes. Apparently UPS is outrageous for shipping trans border. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
jstalnaker@cox.net
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

shipping

Post by doubledutch »

I would call UPS and get them to tell you what your costs will be. We use them a lot for cross border stuff and find them to be reasonable.
If you ship with a common carrier you may need a broker to clear the goods thru customs.
Parcel post is probably the least expensive method to ship but if your boxes are too large they may not be able to help you.

Post by Guest »

UPS are outrageous for shipping stuff into Canada. Ship Fedex or a truck carrier if a significant amount. Or ship it to a US location just across the lake and pick stuff up after you cross Lake Ontario.

For example for shipments with a value over $100 US, UPS charges $27 US. And it goes up from there...
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Outfitting and Shipping to Canada

Post by Dan White »

When confronted with this problem I did the following:

Old stuff I delivered when drove up there during the winter to inspect progress (we live in Maryland)

New stuff I ordered from canadian suppliers. There is a home depot or Lowes right nearby for hardware and a really good marine supply store that PDQ uses about a block away. PDQ can introduce you and he gave me some good prices.

Other stuff ordered new I had delivered to PDQ directly to my attention. PDQ was kind enough to store those things for me

Final remaining things I took with me and my crew when we flew up to begin our delivery.