lavac head

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

lavac head

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

I posted this question in the Capella site, but this may be a better location. What experience has anyone had with the lavac head. Did PDQ offer it at one time? Did you retrofit and if so, what were the challenges.
Thanks, Alex Kehayes 36073
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi alex,

we have one on our 34 powercat which we bought used. as far as i know, boat came with it. i don't know if owner had it installed special or if it was a pdq option.

we've used it 2 years now in traveling icw twice from ct/fl-bahamas.

generally, we like it. it has one annoying characteristic you need to know up front. because of the fact that it works off a vacuum developed by the seat top, it takes about 1-2 minutes after a flush before the seat can be opened. not a good thing if you're having a wine tasting :) other than that it's very dependable and simple with no moving parts in toilet proper. based on our living aboard for 8 months, we've come to the conclusion that we need to disassemble and clean the whale pump after about 4-5 months of 7x24 constant use. using vinegar on a regular base will help some. the lavac toilet bowl cleans up well.

why are you considering it since they are quite pricey?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Half Moon 36073
deckhand
deckhand

Lavac toilette

Post by Half Moon 36073 »

Hello John,
The present std marine toilettes seem to baffle most visitors and my wife. And, the distance from head to holding tank on the Capella is considerable. Even I don't know how much water to pump through in order to clear the line. So, if the lavac moved sufficient water and instructions to guests and my wife could be simplified, I would consider replacing one of the toilettes. Half Moon has two full heads. Also, my two brothers both have boats with lavacs and are always praising them.
thanks for the info.
Alex Kehayes 36073
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi alex,

flushing is straight forward. they tell you exactly how many strokes. it is the most efficient, in terms of clearing the bowl, of any head we've had.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

LaVac

Post by Kokomo »

Hi Alex:
We've lived aboard for 6 yers now and the LaVac is fine. I keep an extra pump so if the joker valve stops working, I can swap out easily and rebuild at my leisure. We get our parts and such from Defender and didn't feel it was "pricey", but I understand St. Bredans Mail Service is also dealer. You may want to consider keeping a set of lid seals as a spare...
Roger and Bonnie
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

roger,

which parts have failed in the 6 years of use?
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Loki
skipper
skipper

Post by Loki »

We've had a Lavac on Loki (36072) since it was new. Its had about 6 weeks use each summer plus the full year we travelled. Although it was set up as a manual, a few months into the long trip I installed the electric pump, since I didn't think our elbows could take the stress! If you setup the manual, consider carefully the location of the handle - I think ours was too high so it was all elbow, no shoulder or back work. It is possible to have the manual in series with the electric, and thus have a redundant system.

The electric does have a flaw: because doesn't pump as fast as the manual can, it clogs at the flapper a bit more often, usually a few times each summer. However, pulling it out, opening and clearing only takes 35 minutes, though its not something you want a guest to watch! Inevitably these are tiny clogs, the kind that would have "self cleared" in a few hours. I think I might try a small plunger to see if that will clear this type of clog.

The only other problem I've had is that the seat hinge broke last year. There was enough thread left so I was able to jury rig while waiting for a part. Also, the rim seals need to be replaced every 3-4 years. However, the seat seals are not esentialy for waste removal, only for pulling in clean water, so in a pinch all you really need is a good bilge pump! Look for a Henderson Mk5 on the clearence table as a backup - that's the same pump.

As mentioned, the lid stays sealed for several minutes, and sometimes longer, so its hard for children to open. In fact, we've found the Lavac to be difficult to explain to guests, who tend to hold it untill they can get shoreside.

All in all I like the Lavac, though it is a bit strange. If I had to do it over, however, I might get one of the large vacuum heads, like the vacuflush.
Jeff Morris, Loki 36072