screen door

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Dan White
admiral
admiral

screen door

Post by Dan White »

Hi Gang
I have been meaning to mention an inexpensive solution I found for adding a screen door. ( I did mine on a PDQ 36, but I imagine it would fit any boat.)

Check out the follwing link:
http://www.improvementscatalog.com/Pare ... ept%5Fid=1

It is a screen that comes with weights, magnets and a slit in the middle, so that when you pass through it the "leaves" of the screen part to allow you to pass, but then return to position so that bugs can't pass.
Had to cut the size down a little. Attachment was very easy and neat with velcro.

Works great. Virtually zero added weight and reasonable costs. (I have no commercial connection with these folks -- just a good jury-rig solution.)
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

This may seem a bit silly to mention but after making this mistake, I thought it would be wise to tell others. When you do the install, make sure you put the loop side of the velcro on the door frame and the hook side on the screen door. I made a screen door for mine and did it backwards and every time I went in and out when the screen door was detached, the velcro hooks would catch on my shirt sleeves. No big deal with T shirts or Sweat shirts but I have ruined a nice silk shirt and Gina has cought a couple of nice sweaters in the loops. Simple, yes, but worth consideration...
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL