GPS/APPLE

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

GPS/APPLE

Post by halfmoon »

Does anyone use a MAC based charting system? I've recently converted to Apple and plan to get a bluetooth GPS to use in my cars. I would like to be able to use it as backup aboard also. Anyone using MACEnc?
thanks,
Alex Kehayes 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Smart move! You are going to love the mac. I have been using one for years. I started on GPSNavX and moved to MacENC. The same guy wrote both, they look similar, only MacENC can display both raster and vector charts, even simultaneously. He also sells a DVD with all the US charts on it for a few bucks, well worth the cost and a great time savings over trying to DL yourself. I have been extremely happy with the products and the tech support over the years. Check his website, he even has integration with Mr. Tides, grib wind data, and even Google Earth. New (free) updates come out evey month or two adding new features. I highly recommend it. He has a trial you can download before you buy. Tell me what you think. By the way, I use it as primary rather than a backup, I love the bigger screen.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

MacENC

Post by halfmoon »

Bought the program and CD. I can't find coverage for the ICW from the Albemarle Sound to Norfolk, no Pasquotank River, no Coinjock to Great Bridge. Surely they must be there, but I can't find them. Any suggestions?
Alex Kehayes 36073
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Do you have the chart numbers so I can check and see?

Also, you can DL anything you might be missing as well as any updates at:

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov

Rasters or ENCs

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Also, you can IM him at username gpsnavx@aol.com using AOL IM or Mac iChat and he will answer questions, he is always on line.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Alex,
Did you buy MacENC or GPSNavX? If you bought MacENC, it will display both rasters and ENCs. The reason I bring this up is that full ENC coverage is not yet available from NOAA. There are still several sections missing right here in my home waters. I also have the rasters (BSBs) loaded on my mac and I turn rasters on (apple-R) when I go through an area without ENCs. But keep checking the ENC link I listed above, new ones come out with each release. I just DL the whole ENC file and replace the old one every few months.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

OK, I went and checked mine and I have all of the ones you listed in both raster BSB and vector ENC. I have recently downloaded the latest ENCs so they may have been recently added. Also, different data will show up as you zoom in, are you sure you have zoomed in to a low enough level?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL