solar panels

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

solar panels

Post by tmount »

I have the SunSaver photovoltaic system controller which came with my '99 Altair. I'm quite ignorant when it comes to electrical matters but I'm not getting quite enough charge from the 3 solar panels on my boat. I recently read about the Blue Sky MPPT and was wondering if it would improve performance. Does the SunSaver do the same thing? I also have an ASC Automatic Sequencing Charger by Specialty Concepts. My understanding is the ASC prevents overcharge. Why do I need the SunSaver (it came with the boat)? Would an MPPT enhance performance? Would it be better to simply add a solar panel? Any recommendations for a solar panel?
I live and sail in the northeast (Chesapeake to Maine) but mostly Long Island Sound: not too hot, not too cold, sometimes hazy, sometimes the wind is good, sometimes not.
I thought about a wind generator but I don't think they put out that much, unless you're in a really windy area. The big generators are too costly. Maybe one of those portable ones. We're going to add radar and there will be even more electrical demand. I'm not a dock kind of guy and spend all my time on a mooring or anchored.
Thanks,
Tim
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Tim,
Call Paul Marcuzzo at FourWinds, he will tell you everything you need to know about solar on your boat.

techsupport@fourwinds-ii.com
http://www.fourwinds-ii.com
941-575-4404
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL