Gasoline generator

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Gasoline generator

Post by Page 83 »

Page 83, an outboard powered '93 PDQ 36 has a 700# diesel generator that runs every electric and electrical appliance on the boat at the same time, but uses the entire aft end of the port hull. I would like to find a light weight water cooled GASOLINE generator that weighs less and makes much less noise, to further my ambition to own the World's most expensive old cat.

Have you seen or heard of something like that, which would fit under a bunk in the aft cabin?

It just needs to run the 12,000 btu airconditioning.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

generator options

Post by doubledutch »

You might find something of interest at http://www.polarpowerinc.com
They have a water cooled gas powered generator but it is shown with a radiator that you would presumably need to change to a seawater heat exchanger. They also have combined generator / AC units - they are diesel powered but still might be worth a look.
Henry
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Sandy,
I don't think you will find a gasoline generator that can be mounted inside the boat. Gasoline fumes can cause nasty things to happen in confined spaces. Many of us with the outboards are using the Honda 2000 portable generator. It is quiet, fuel efficient, and stows in the aft locker. It also puts out "clean" power that will be accepted by sophisticated inverter/chargers. It will power most appliances but NOT a central air conditioner.
Chet
Allezcat 36010
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

I have a Kohler 6.5 kw genset in the rear of the port aft cabin. It is mounted in a factory built enclosure about 16"-18" above the berth. Theoretically(?) the berth was usable, but we removed the mattress, and use the cabin for storage. The genset weighs 200#. The boat is a 1993, I own it since 1997. The generator can run the A/C, but I use it mainly to charge the batteries, and run the AC refrig/frz to freeze up the cold plates.
I usually run the gen. 30min to 1hr every day or 1.5 days. It's fairly dependable, but it wasn't when I got the boat. It took me a few years of tinkering to make it reliable. I think the previous owner abused it. If you would like to see pictures of the installation I could take some in the next week or so. The boat is docked in Atlantic City.

Marc
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Oh, by the way, no gas fumes, ever.
Marc
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I have a factory installed Entec Diesel generator. Weighs 200 pounds and lives in an insulated box about 2 feet on each side. It fits under the aft bunk. Puts out 4.2KW which runs the a/c plus charges the battery, etc.
Separate fuel tank lives in the port lazzarette.
Very reliable, reasonable noise. No smell.

Details at http://www.entecwest.com/products.htm
admiral
admiral

Honda Generator

Post by 36041 »

Sandy,

We started out with a Honda 1000 and found that it could power either one of our air conditioner units, but not both. We have a 9000 BTU and under the port side settee in the salon and a 6500 BTU unit in the starboard tube.

I recently swapped some unused gear for a Honda 2000 and I can now run both units simultaneously. I do have to start them up individually as the initial surge in power to start the condensers cranking is enough to trip out the 2000w breaker if both units are done at the same time.

Last I heard, the 2000 was priced under $1000 which I suspect is much less than going to a small diesel. Just my two cents worth.

Tom
Page 83
admiral
admiral

gasoline generator

Post by Page 83 »

Thanks Tom. Of the permanently installed variety, Westerbeke seems to have the most appealing option. At 157 pounds plus enclosure, and 3KW, it meets my criteria. But I have a question: Can you run your Hondas underway?
admiral
admiral

Underway

Post by 36041 »

Sandy,

I've run it underway, but only rarely. We generally confine its running to anchor only as in a serious sea way, the generators impressive 28 pound mass would not hold it in one location without assistance

As a curiosity, why would you need to run it under way? I'm guessing maybe for your autopilot, but thats just a guess. I know our wheel mounted Autohelm draws less than 3 amps when running, but perhaps you have something more substantial?

Hope all is well, by the way have you finished your break in period on the 8 hp's? I would love to see the final report on performance.

Tom
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I have used my 2000 underway on 24 -36 hr paassages to and from the Bahamas. Several times there were good seas running but it stayed in one place. The combined usage of radar , runing lights and all the other stuff using currrent was more than the outboards could supply.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

That is interesting that the EU1000 could start and run your 9K BTU unit. I had always been told that the EU2000 would NOT drive the 16K BTU unit I have installed. Seems that if the 1000 has enough juice to handle the inrush current on the 9K BTU then a 2000 should handle the 16K BTU but maybe it is not linear.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Sam, According to Flagship Marine in Florida, they guarantee two A/C units which will operate with the Honda 2000 - FM16R & 18RLT (16k & 18k btu's). Both have a startup draw close to 15.5 amps, and running amps around 14. (I've also spoken to two other manufactures who claim possible operation with the Honda 2000, but no guarantees.)

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Gasoline generator

Post by Page 83 »

I've been spoiled by the big generator. I turn it on to use the windlass or the microwave or to recharge after a few hours of radar, running lights and ABBA. We don't run generators or BBQ grills in our raft-ups with Singles on Sailboats, so I run the A/C for a couple hours before getting to the raft to bring the cabin temperature down a bit for sleeping in the heat of a Chesapeake summer.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

OK, I'll bite...

Why not run the BBQ? I understand that a genset is noisy and can disturb an otherwise quiet anchorage. But what is wrong with the BBQ? Is your cooking so good that it drives the others crazy with the fragrance of lime/garlic shrimp or garlic/wasabi scallops? (Yes, I love garlic)...

Just kidding of course but I have never heard that a BBQ was offensive to another boater, or is it the fire danger? Maybe I am living under a rock (or giant clam shell might be a better analogy for us water dwellers)

Please enlighten me!
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Clam Dwellers Unite!

Post by Page 83 »

We raft stern to in a circle raft, and fire safety is the only issue, especially with a herd of sixty-somethings bouncing around the circle sampling cuisine du mer and gossip du jour, from cockpit to cockpit. Besides, if anyone falls overboard, everyone can watch, but not by firelight. June 9th is our second Monster Raft; we are hoping to beat our last consisting of 72 boats and a cast of hundreds. It will be on the Rhode River south of Annapolis. We formed the last one in under two hours!