walker bay dinghy

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
jimlong
admiral
admiral

walker bay dinghy

Post by jimlong »

I'm thinking of replacing my dinghy which is old and tired with a rigid 8 or 10ft. Walker bay. I've read on their website that the 10 footer has a max performance rating of a whooping 3 horsepower and think that this will get you no where fast. Does anyone have experience with this dinghy and what size engine are you using. Thanks Jim
Dan White
admiral
admiral

walker bay dinghy

Post by Dan White »

I have the Walker Bay dinghy and love it. I theorized that, all my life, anything I have had that was inflatable always deflated at the most inopportune time. So I wanted something that was rigid. The 10 footer just fits between the hulls. Also, I bought the tube kit that goes with it and literally I can stand on a gunwale and not tip over. It is amazingly stable with the tubes and VERY tippy without them.

It is also fairly roomy. I have had 4 people in it just fine (not with the sail kit deployed).

I bought mine new, but they do show up on EBAY.

For propulsion, I got the sail kit, which is a blast for tooling around in the anchorage. If the wind dies, I just row -- it tracks nicely. We normally don't have far to go however.

Have been thinking about the 2HP Honda -- weighs less than 30 pounds and would stow nicely in the aft hull locker. Or the Torqeedo electric, but frankly, I don't need the power enough yet to justify the money. I am still working, so my cruising time is limited.
jimlong
admiral
admiral

walker bay dinghy

Post by jimlong »

Dan, Thanks for the info and I really like the design of the Walker and especially the surrounding tube. Does the 10 footer fit in between the hulls with the tube kit on easily? How large of an outboard do you think I could get away with. Thanks Jim
Dan White
admiral
admiral

walker bay dinghy

Post by Dan White »

Yes -- it fits fine between the hulls as long as you tilt it, which you would anyway for drainage.

I have no idea how big an outboard. Check with the factory or West Marine. ps: they will negotiate with you.
tmount
1st mate
1st mate

dinghy recommendation

Post by tmount »

I have an 8' Portabote and highly recommend it. It's very light and fits comfortably on the davits of my Altair (and in the back of my Toyota Matrix). In the case of very heavy weather you can easily take it on board, fold it up, and lash it to the boat. It will actually plane with one person and a 3-point-something engine.
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Can you mount davit lifting points to your Portabote? Or do you need to create a lifting harness so that you don't puncture any of the structure?
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Hi guys,

I have a Porta-Bote too. I fitted some SS flat plates to the transom screws and a couple of SS shackles to lift it by. My bow already has two SS u-bolts in it. Since it only weighs ~50 lbs, it is real easy to lift. The only drawback is that it has no drain plug, so you need to be cautious in heavy rain or heavy seas, however it is easy to move and store on deck.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind