"No Fix" with Raytheon RL70 Chartplotter

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
phild
skipper
skipper

"No Fix" with Raytheon RL70 Chartplotter

Post by phild »

Has anyone experienced repeated "No Fix" messages using a Raytheon Chartplotter? The unit sometimes works perfectly. At other times the "No Fix" message appears almost continuously.

Installation and grounding appear correct. I'm not aware of any radar insallations nearby. The radar unit is NOT turned off. There are no blown instrumentation fuses.

Anyone had any luck with boosting the signal?

Thanks!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: "No Fix" with Raytheon RL70 Chartplotter

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I had that problem with the RL70 on my 36 (hull #89). It was solved by replacing the GPS receiver. If yours was as old as mine...2001..., it was the first issue of the WAAS technology and I could get only 3-4 satellites and going under a bridge would even shut it down. I bought a new receiver and never had another problem,,,, got 12 satellites. The new one ... Raystar 125 GPS Sensor... was compatible with the RL70 and has updated technology.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I had exactly the same problem about 4 years ago. (Hull # 36096, 2003 Capella.) Raytheon replaced mine with a new 125 and have had no problems since.
The installation was a bit tricky.
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Sounds like a 125 replacement is the way to go! Any recommendations on where to purchase? Cost?

Dan, please elaborate on the "tricky" aspects of the 125 replacement process?

Thanks!
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

"There is more to sailing than ropes and winches, cleats and bulging sails. There are faraway places and the everchanging light, and the silence, and a great peace at the bottom of your soul." - Mate
Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I ordered it direct from the Raytheon factory. As I recall they gave me a price break. I also believe you can order it through a dealer.

The tricky part depends on where it is mounted and how handy you are (I'm not that good.)

Anyway, mine is on the top of the dinghy davit. The wires run through the stainless, through the lazarettes, through the engine compartment and disappear into the chase under the cockpit sole somehow. To disconnect you have to cut the existing lines AND there is no slack. Thus you have to "create" some slack so that you can connect the new leads. Eventually I figured it out, but it took some time.
phild
skipper
skipper

Post by phild »

Dan, what did you have to do to get the extra slack in the cable.
Phil and Mary DiDomenico
s/v Arabella

Dan White
admiral
admiral

Post by Dan White »

I just went to every place I could find the cable, as mentioned above and tugged out every little bit I could.