Growing Mushrooms

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Page 83
admiral
admiral

Growing Mushrooms

Post by Page 83 »

One consequence of my exorbitant electronics update is the need to mount four mushroom antennas SOMEWHERE on 36026.
I've considered lifeline rails, the cabin roof, and a few other external locations. I have neither a hard top or a targa arch.

I noticed that my elderly Etrex seemed to be happy with what signals it could pick up sitting on the dinette table. I would like to hear your experience and opinions on mounting GPS and XM antennas between the top ledge of the Nav station and the cabin roof. Aesthetic and hide-bound-tradition remarks are encouraged.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: Growing Mushrooms

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I placed my automotive XM antenna (a little black mouse looking antenna) on the top of the nav station next to where the stainless rod support is. It worked fine even in the Exumas. Not sure about the GPS though..... It's one thing to lose Elvis on the radio.... It's another to lose GPS.

Try it and see... place the gps antenna there and go sailing.... especially under bridges.

Ron
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Sandy,

I cut a 2ft (approx) square of galvanized sheet metal and put the magnetic antenna supplied with the radio in the center. I then buried it in the ceiling above the nav station setee on the starboard side. It works all up and down the Exumas and even in the Ragged Islands of the Bahamas.

Chet
Allezcat 36010
Bob
admiral
admiral

Post by Bob »

My Sirius works with the antenna sitting on the shelf and my Garmin 12XL feeds a signal to my laptop nav program while laying on the settee seat.
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace