Beckson Ports

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
amytom
admiral
admiral

Beckson Ports

Post by amytom »

Went to check-out the boat today after all the rain. Once again the ports leaked during the heavy rain. Last year I cleaned up the seals and got by but it seems like it's time to replace them. From Beckson's web site it looks like we have models 512 and 714 for the two different port sizes; can anyone confirm?
Also, does anyone treat the gaskets with anything? Silicone comes to mind but I'm not sure if it would react with the plastic lens.
And last, has anyone tried to polish or buff out the scratches in the lens? Maybe using an automotive finish or headlight polish? I could just replace the lenses but they run about $50.00 a piece.

Thanks again for the help.
eepstein
admiral
admiral

Re: Beckson Ports

Post by eepstein »

Hi;
I use O-ring seal silicon for a dive camera. It works pretty well, so long as you clean the rubber first. When James was down he pointed out that the small side ports have allen key adjustments. That fixed those. Hope this helped.
Eric & Bonnie Epstein
s/v Desert Star, PDQ36, Hull 49
Annapolis, MD
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Thanks. I think I will order new seals and at least one new screen (kids busted one of them) as I can get them all for under $100.00 The lenses though... I guess I will try a polish kit and see what happens.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

Installed all but one of the new gaskets. They're not as easy as you would think. I couldn't finish the last one as my thumbs gave out from pushing gaskets into the groove. The new gaskets seal very nicely even from the full spray of a garden hose under pressure.

Now to the cloudy haze and liught scratches, any recomendations for a polishing kit?
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I think you are on the right track with a lense polisher. We had our boat detailed this past winter and he buffed the saloon windows with a buffing pad and some lense cleaner (unfortunately I don't know which brand). I believe 3M and Meguiars make a plastic cleaner/polish which should work.

Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I went with a cheap headlight polish from the auto store and the results were great. They're still not "like new" but they're good enough to see through. (Sorry about the poor cell phone resolution)
Before
Before
IMG00622.jpg (23.35 KiB) Viewed 11568 times
After
After
IMG00624.jpg (33.25 KiB) Viewed 11565 times
I may try a buffing wheel and the more expensive polish someday later on, but for now I'm happy with the improvement.

Now on to the curtains...
Knotty Cat
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Knotty Cat »

Just a warning for you northeners. When I had a new guy shrink wrap my boat this year his heat gun melted all my screens and left an imprint on some of the windows that won't clean up.