Chain rode

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
amytom
admiral
admiral

Chain rode

Post by amytom »

I knew my 140' all chain rode was in bad shape and needed to be replaced but I dreaded the WM pricing at $3.40/ft for 1/4"G4. I stopped by the Boater's World in Daytona Beach to see what was left of their clearance stock. I found a tub full of 1/4"G4 that went for $80.00, didn't know how long it was but the clerk thought it was about 150'. I just measured it out and I have 250' of new chain for $80.00. Wohooo!

Now the question, should I install all 250' (at 0.77 pound/ft) on the windlass in the locker or cut in half and have my spare set for next time?

BTW I went with the 1/4"G4 as that's what fits my Lewmar700 windlass.
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Chain rode

Post by carib sailor »

See how the added weight affects the boat.
Last edited by carib sailor on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

They still had over 300 feet left last night. It's the Boater's World across from the Daytona Speedway.

I also picked up the Garmin Bluechart CD for $56.00

Hurry though, won't last long.
Kokomo
admiral
admiral

Post by Kokomo »

Here is Solomons, MD; the Soda Club machine was $18 and change with a $20 rebate. They had a bunch of them...
Roger and Bonnie
amytom
admiral
admiral

Post by amytom »

I got all 250' to fit in the locker but I had to push the pile over a couple of times. That might turn into a hassle, I"ll try it for a while and see if it's a problem. The port bow doesn't appear to have sunk any from the weight; the change in the starboard side with a full holding tank is more noticable.

Next step is to mark the chain at specific lengths with colored plastic ties.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

That may cause a jam, since chain has an incredible tendency

Post by thinwater »

to mound. Like winding too much line on a fishing reel, it may get you into more trouble than it is worth. I would not load chain that I had to push over even once, since it will jam at the wrong moment... in my experience with Murphy.

No, I'm not trying to scam chain off you - I live too far away :cry: .

But I've never had to anchor in more than 8 feet of water, so more than 100' of chain seems silly. Your situation is not mine.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html