bubbling head

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

bubbling head

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

bubbling head

Posted by Sharon on April 10, 2004 at 18:36:00:

Does your head bubble back at you once you pump it out or are we the only ones with this problem? Has anyone figured out what

the reason is or how to remedy it? We have checked the vent which is clear.
Thanks,
Sharon of Lead Free Too

Re: bubbling head

Posted by Chet White on April 13, 2004 at 19:40:00:

In Reply to: bubbling head posted by Sharon on April 10, 2004 at 18:36:00:

Hi Guys!

Yep! Ours does it too. Even with a new Joker installed, but we do have a back pressure with an unvented flexible holding

tank. No vent - no odor, but this is not music to our ears!

Got to be some backpressure from somewhere. Any chance holding tank level is higher than the head?

Posted by Nando on April 11, 2004 at 20:29:00:

Developed a similar problem in conjunction with the manual head not bringing in seawater. Installed a re-build kit that

solved the problem.

We met in Annapolis. Where are you these days? I'm slowly cruising north; currently in Beaufort, NC.

Posted by Dan Hofmann on April 11, 2004 at 03:51:00:

I had a problem on Duet that the vent valve was blocked off. Therefore I was building up presure and thus the bubbling back.

So if the jocker valve is fixed and the problem persist, look for the vent.Where are you these days?

Posted by - on April 10, 2004 at 19:07:00:

If you have a manual head, and you are finding that after you pump it free of "stuff", that the stuff comes back into the

bowl, the problem is a worn out joker valve.

The joker valve is at the very bottom of the piston assembly and protrudes into the out bound hose that leads to the holding

tank. It's a one way valve shaped like a cone. the come part protrudes into the out bound house. Stuff can pass through it

but not come back. When it wears out, it doesn't close properly anymore and as a result anything left in the outbound hose to

the tank will seep back through it into the bowl.

Replacement joker valves are about $14.00.

Changing it takes about 10 minutes.

Get a pump out or empty the holding tank. Then flush lots of clean water through (it makes the job less...well..you know),

then separate the flange at the output of the pump where it connects to the out bound hose,(usually just two bolts), lift out

the old joker valve, pop in the new one and put the pump back on. It's REALLY easy! Changing the joker valve also

dramatically reduces head odours.

Last year I did a complete rebuild of the head. Took maybe half an hour. It's NOT a disgusting job at all.

Our head now works like a brand new one. It's very easy and anyone can do it. Highly recommend it if the head is acting up.

Makes a WORLD of difference.

But at least change the joker valve.

Posted by Sharon on April 11, 2004 at 19:37:00:

In Reply to: Re: bubbling head posted by - on April 10, 2004 at 19:07:00:

Larry changed the joker valve and checked the vent as those were our first thoughts. We still get the bubbling or burping.

Thanks for the ideas. Any others, please email.
Sharon

Posted by - on April 12, 2004 at 16:32:00:

In Reply to: Re: bubbling head posted by Sharon on April 11, 2004 at 19:37:00:

If you have changed the joker valve, then really the only cause that I can think of would be a blocked vent and subsequent

back pressure build up. Perhaps it is still blocked?

An easy way to test it would be to remove the pump out cap on deck and then pump the head. With the pump out deck plate

opened, the pump out hose should act as a giant vent.

If the bubbling stops, you may still have a blocked vent hose. I make a habit of flushing mine with water after a pump out

(fresh water sailing).

I also make a habit of filling the tank with water about half full during a pump out. Then pumping that out.

If you really are stuck, do a post on rec.boats.cruising to the attention of Peggie Hall. She is VERY knowledgable in respect

to heads and what not. I would bet that she''ll give you more ideas.