Upholstery material

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Old PDQ Message Board
Site Admin

Upholstery material

Post by Old PDQ Message Board »

Upholstery material

Posted by Bill on April 16, 2004 at 08:30:00:

Well it's time to think about recovering the upholstery in the salon.

I am quite taken with the classy/classic look of Ultra leather, but would like to get some real world feedback before

proceeding. It's pretty costly stuff.

Anyone using it? Is it hot and sticky in the heat? Is it durable? Are you happy with it?

I know for sure I don't want vinyl. Ultra leather is the stuff business class/first class airline seats are covered in.

Therefore it must be durable stuff right?

Anyone tried it? Opinions appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Re: Upholstery material Roger 06:30:53 04/20/04 (0)
Re: Upholstery material Bill 13:53:42 04/16/04 (1)
Re: Upholstery material Roger (s/v Kokomo) 09:54:02 04/16/04 (2)

Posted by Roger on April 20, 2004 at 06:30:00:

In Reply to: Re: Upholstery material posted by Bill on April 16, 2004 at 13:53:00:

This is a matter of personal preferance. We had our first 90+ degree days and it seemed fine. With regular fabric, we often

sat on towels to keep perspiration, suntan oils, etc. off of the material. This material will not absorb those and cleans up

with mild soap and water so no towels are required unless it makes you feel better. Some claim that it feels cooler in the

heat than fabric - we'll have to see. It does appear very durable!

Posted by Bill on April 16, 2004 at 13:53:00:

In Reply to: Re: Upholstery material posted by Roger (s/v Kokomo) on April 16, 2004 at 09:54:00:

Thanks for the feedback.

How about comfort in warmer weather? We are wondering if the material will be sticky and hot in the caribbean heat?

Also, is it durable?

Thanks again.

Posted by Roger (s/v Kokomo) on April 16, 2004 at 09:54:00:

In Reply to: Upholstery material posted by Bill on April 16, 2004 at 08:30:00:

Before going Ultra-Leather, call Majilite (978-441-0835) and get some samples to compare.

http://www.nytek-usa.com/dfp_dfp.htm

We just finished re-doing the salon area in Majilite/Finesse (I think?) and it looks great. You buy direct from the

manufacturer and it's about 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of ultra-leather. We compared the samples to Ultra-Leather and the difference

wasn't significant enough to warrant the additional expense.