Canvas Shop - South Florida

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Canvas Shop - South Florida

Post by Cat Tales »

Does anyone know (recommend) of a canvas shop in S. FL? I'm interested in adding an extension to the hardtop, covering the bench seat. I'd also appreciated any comments from other 36's that have thought about the same idea.

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Whiskers
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Whiskers »

We had our extension made in Cape Coral (SW FL) and loved it (sold the boat and have power cat on order). It makes the cockpit much more confortable and useable in the Florida sun. I can email photos if you are interested.

Donna
vmealey

canvas

Post by vmealey »

HI CHRIS
WE HAVE AN EXTENSION ON DISTANT MUSIC THAT I WOULD BE GLAD TO SHOW YOU, IT MAY GIVE YOU SOME IDEAS. I FIND IT A GREAT ADVANTAGE IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS. I TRIED TO EMAIL YOU BUT COULD NOT GET THROUGH, PLEASE CONTACT ME ON MY CELL 954-325-4705

REGARDS VERNON
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Chris,
On Tanah Keeta I made a complete and permanent cover (you do not have to tie it up or take it down when sailing). It is 7ft by 10 ft and starts at the traveller and extends about a foot beyond the bench seat. The width allows it to extend about an inch beyond each of the backstays. I made it out of aluminum poles...actually tent poles but any aluminum poles would work. It attaches to the hand rails on the hard top. I also made a connector piece that covers the space between the front edge and the hard top so that rain does not come in. It has one cross piece at the front, one in the middle and one at the rear. It is also flat which caused an immediate problem with water accumulation but I resolved it by placing another aluminum pole (actually a boat hook) in the center and attaching it to the center suport for the bench seat. It has served us well. I would make some changes.. put bows in the top instead of flat. If you have it made professionally, they could do it up right. Mine cost about $100 for the Sunbrella but I had the poles and grommets. The next time I go down to the boat, I will try to take some pictures and send to you.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108