Dinghy-boss boats??

Discussions regarding electronics, gear and other equipment of maintenance issues that ARE NOT SPECIFIC to a certain PDQ model yacht
eyecatcher
deckhand
deckhand

Dinghy-boss boats??

Post by eyecatcher »

I wanted to find out if anyone has experience with 'boss boats'. They are a rigid tubed dinghy rather than a RIB. PDQ says I can fit up to 12'(boss boats LOA is 11' 10") but since by boat is still under construction, I can't get any hard measurements. I would love any feedback before I drive over and test drive them(6 hours).

Thanks.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Don,

I noticed that you are from Pensacola. I'm on the Alabama side of Perdido Bay. Your yellow boat should be easy to spot. Perhaps we'll run into each other over at the Grand Lagoon anchorage.
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

You'll probably see 99+ Yahamas to every one Merc in the Bahamas or anywhere in the Carribean, thus if you are concerned about getting parts or repairs down there...
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
sailors3
deckhand
deckhand

Post by sailors3 »

Sounds like its going to be a Yamaha!
Kenny
Passage Back
deckhand
deckhand

Post by Passage Back »

We have a Boss 8.5 on a PDQ 36. We are very happy with it.
Barefeet4409
deckhand
deckhand

Dinghy

Post by Barefeet4409 »

Hi Donnie. My wife and I have hull 4409. We have the 11' Aquapro and the 4 stroke 15 hp Yamaha. We LOVE the 4 stroke because it is really quiet relative to the 2 stroke. You can have a conversation without yelling - you can even talk to someone on the dock while you motor past! It is a bit heavier than the 2 stroke. That said, it is not like the 2 stroke is light enough to pick up with one hand either. My wife and I struggle a bit to haul the dinghy up the beach (to heavy to really carry it above the high tide line) - although my brother and I can do it. The 11' dinghy is also a bit large for the davits - by that I mean wide. The dinghy rubs the transome while you are hoisting it. I definately wouldn't get anything wider without testing it first.

The davits are rated for 500 pounds, but as I understand it that means 250 per davit. Since the engine is on one side only (all 120 lbs), and 1/2 the boat is on one side (60 lbs) and we have a 25 pound solar panel up there it is getting close to tolerance. Especially if anyone is sitting on the bench seats back there ...

Anyway, the long and short of it is that I wouldn't go any heavier than the 15 hp and 118 pound boat. I would definately get the 4 stroke because of the engine noise and efficiency gains - but then I hate noise. We also ordered our dinghy and engine through the chandlery and they were great help and even brought everything down to the boat and helped install it.

I hope this helps with the decision. Not like you don't have enough of them to make during the process anyway!

Chris
Sno' Dog
skipper
skipper

Post by Sno' Dog »

Donnie,

I too, saw your eyecatching yellow hull - and loved it! We were very temped to go with a colored hull ourselves (for our 34 powercat) but decided at the last minute to stick with white and add some graphics.

As for dinghies, we've been doing some research and I've posted the results on our Sno' Dog Log website (you can go direct to the dinghy page at: http://www.geocities.com/snodoglog/Dinghies.html ). Although some of these may be a bit small for you, you might find the table of interest.

My latest discovery is the new Walker Bay Genesis line. These boats appear to offer a lot for their weight and are priced reasonably. I particularly like the double floor so you don't get your feet wet when there's a quart of water in the boat. Their 310 FTLH weighs only 105 lbs - and it has built-in wheels in the bottom to boot. Their website is: http://www.walkerbaygenesis.com/ .

Another boat that might be even better for your application is the AB Lammina series. Like the Aquapro, these are aluminum hulled RIBs, but they tend to be deeper (and drier) than the Aquapro models. For 2006, they've introduced new lighter versions of their smaller boats. The new 9.5 AL weighs only 95 pounds and can handle 5 people (so they say) and motors up to 15 HP. Looks like a winner to me! I suspect this will be a drier, more seaworthy boat than the smaller, heavier Boss. Also, Martin at Port Whitby Marine can now get any of the AB line of dinghies. The AB website is: http://www.abinflatables.com/ .

Just my 2 cents - and from a powerboat guy at that! But we did used to be sailors, if that helps...

Henry Clews
mv34 #87 Sno' Dog
http://www.geocities.com/snodoglog/
eyecatcher
deckhand
deckhand

dinghys

Post by eyecatcher »

Thanks to all of you for your inputs. The wife and I got to see several of your suggestions at the Miami boat show last week and they all look to have their up and down sides. We ARE running out of time so have to make the decision quickly. I'll post and let you all know what we get.
Thanks