FCC Radio Registration

Discussion on how to equip your boat for European waters
simkins
deckhand
deckhand

FCC Radio Registration

Post by simkins »

This might be a formality for some of you but I wanted to be sure that everyone is aware of the requirement to register your VHF radio. According to the Federal Communication Commission a US flagged vessel is required to have a license if transmitting in a foreign land or port. Attached is an excerpt from the FCC site.

Do I Need a Restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit?
If you plan to dock in a foreign port (e.g., Canada or the Bahamas) or if you communicate with foreign coast or ship stations, you must have a RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT (sometimes referred to by boaters as an "individual license") in addition to your ship radio station license. Section IV outlines the procedure for obtaining a permit. However, if (1) you merely plan to sail in domestic or international waters without docking in any foreign ports and without communicating with foreign coast stations, and (2) your radio operates only on VHF frequencies, you do not need an operator permit.
NOTE: A ship radio station license authorizes radio equipment aboard a ship, while the restricted radiotelephone operator permit authorizes a specific person to communicate with foreign stations or use certain radio equipment (e.g., MF/HF single sideband radio or satellite radio).
How do I get a License?
HOW DO I OBTAIN A SHIP RADIO STATION LICENSE?
Obtain FCC Forms 159 and 605 (see Section VI) and file them with the FCC. The FCC will mail the license to you and it will be valid for ten years. Don't forget to sign and date your application and include any applicable fees, otherwise it may be returned.
HOW DO I OBTAIN A RESTRICTED RADIOTELEPHONE OPERATOR PERMIT?
Obtain FCC Form 159 and 605 (see Section VI) and file it with the FCC. You do not need to take a test to obtain this permit. The FCC will mail the permit to you and it will be valid for your lifetime. Don't forget to sign and date your application and include any applicable fees, otherwise it may be returned.
MAY I OPERATE A MARINE RADIO WHILE MY APPLICATIONS ARE BEING PROCESSED?
You may operate your marine radio after you have mailed your application(s) to the FCC so long as you fill out, detach, and retain the temporary operating authority attached to the application form. The temporary operating authority is valid for 90 days after you mail your application to the FCC and should be kept with your station records until you receive your license/permit through the mail.
This might be a formality for some of y ... C site. www.fcc.gov