PDQ 36 LRC

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
toewsrus
deckhand
deckhand

PDQ 36 LRC

Post by toewsrus »

HI, I've been impressed with what I've seen on the web with regards to PDQs. Today I had the oportunity to see one, finally. I'd like to give Phil DiDomenico a big thanks for letting me aboard his boat to take a look and get to see it first hand.

We'd like to buy a 36 LRC. Please contact me if you have one, or know of one that is for sale.

Thanks
The Toews family looking for a great adventure
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I keep a list of PDQs for sale on my web page at http://www.pdq36.com
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
toewsrus
deckhand
deckhand

Thanks

Post by toewsrus »

Thanks

I'm looking for one with the deisel engines, there don't seem to be a lot out there right now.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

I was looking for a diesel originally, too. Why have you decided against the Yamaha powered version?
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
toewsrus
deckhand
deckhand

????

Post by toewsrus »

I guess I feel more comfortable with the larger engines, the charging capability, deisel tanks instead of gas.

I could be wrong and would love to hear the argument both ways. I've already looked at the thread that dives deep into this subject.

I'm assuming that the outboards are less weight. the desiels give more power, but to what extent I don't know. I've heard that the outboards need to be replaced often and hare difficult to find.

Are there any other differences between the LRC and the standard PDQ36?
halfmoon
1st mate
1st mate

LRC/CLASSIC

Post by halfmoon »

We have 36073, LRC with 18 hp yanmars, two heads plus Entec generator plus HVAC. Creature comfort = extra weight = slower speed. We love the creature comfort.
LRC has SS bow protectors and safety rails? just forward of the mast.

Observation: Diesel Forum* Topics..........9 Posts........13
Outboard Forum Topics.......119 Posts......296

* No posts in the past 16 months.

Good Luck in your search.
Alex Kehayes
Alex Kehayes
Edenton, NC
Page 83
admiral
admiral

PDQ 36 LRC

Post by Page 83 »

I've been very happy with my older 36 because its very comfortable and easy to sail. I believe the outboard version is about a knot faster, (maybe 14 %) because the engines are out of the water most of the time, but propel the vessel just as fast as the diesels. This is based on a few impromptu races with diesel boats. One fact I'm very sure of is the difference in costs, both initial and upkeep. The shear numbers of outboard boats produced argue for their popularity.
Sandy Daugherty "Page 83" PDQ 36026
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

LRC's

Post by SecondWind »

We're extremely happy with our 36-LRC. There were 21 vessels produced as LRC's (about 20% of the production). The Classics were less expensive, which might account for their greater popularity. Hull #21 was lost at sea.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Hi, Hull #36021, Here's 2 Life, is resting comfortably in her slip in Atlantic City, NJ. You may be thinking of 1 Cool Cat, from Nova Scotia, that was recently lost at sea.

Marc Gershel
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Sunk

Post by SecondWind »

Sorry Mark, it was Hull # 32 lost in the Gulf of Mexico.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I own a Yamaha powered "Tall Rig" 36. Alex has an excellent point when he mentioned the amount of posts for the outboard powered boats. I have had many of those same problems you read about and have recently repowered with the new style 9.9's.

When I was looking at purchasing a PDQ, I also wanted the diesels for their reliabilty & longetivity. I looked very carefully at the post for the diesels & outboards and concluded that all the problems stemmed from a couple of parts around the block of the Yamaha & where they were mounted. I decided not to buy an LRC because of the additional cost and chose the simplicity of dealing with any problem the outboards might encouter (any mechanic can fix my outboard).

The diesels have a good history, but they are not without their own problems. If I were to do it over, with the knowledge I have, I would still opt for the outboard power for simplicity & convenience. If you create a spreadsheet showing the pro's & con's of both and their appropriate maintenance costs, you may agree with me.

(Since I have dropped money into maintianing the old engines, and recently repowered with the new style 9.9, I have a VERY good understanding of what costs are associated with the outboard PDQ. Feel free to email me directly for any of those figures - CatTales36081@gmail.com ).
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
next exit
skipper
skipper

Post by next exit »

What's the story on #32 going down?
Don Wilson
Next Exit
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

Look at the thread PDQ 36: Water Under the Bed: Old Forum
This should be the link:
viewtopic.php?t=420
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
toewsrus
deckhand
deckhand

Post by toewsrus »

You have all been great!

Do any of you think that the LRC is safer or better equiped for blue water than the standard 36 with outboards?
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

Dear Toews Family,

Its the same boat. Both are good bluewater boats, strongly built and seaworthy. Each boat's equipment differs by owner (watermaker, electronics, sails, safety equip., etc.)

The boat was designed for outboards. The diesel version was added later to accomodate demand by potential buyers. This compromised sailing performance somewhat, but added cruising benefits (large alternators, better maneuvering with increased power seperation, and safer fuel). Of course it also increased cost and added the drag of saildrives.

Chet
Allezcat 36010 _/)