PDQ 36 LRC

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

My 2 bits worth -- the outboards are disposable and can be replaced at a relatively cheap price.

After all the brouhaha that was written about the new version not fitting the PDQ 36 nancels, all that is really required to make the adjustments was some very limited trimming of the nacel and a modification in the pulley system that raises the engines.
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Bob
admiral
admiral

hull 32

Post by Bob »

I am/was the owner of hull 32. The bridge deck failed at the forward bulkhead from hull to hull. The next wave came in and dumped about a foot and a half of water then sucked both berths out along with laptops,spare parts and duffles. Fortunately the EPIRB and sat phone was stored in the compartment above the berths. Happened about 4:30 am 200+ miles from nearest port (US or Mexican). Fortunately myself and the 0400 - 0800 watch were on deck. Had we not we would most definitely been either sucked all the way out or worse caught between the bridge deck and bulkhead and suffered some serious injury. We probably would have still been sailing and scooping much more water into the hulls but for the sleeping bag from the port berth that caught in the stbd prop.
We had come out into the gulf at Port Mansfield and were on the back end of a front. When that died out we began motor sailing because we knew there was another front moving in in the next 36 hrs. We were able to get the engines restarted and put the stern to the waves to keep the boat dry. As PDQ owners know the boat is not meant to go fast backwards;.) so we decided that there was no way to save the boat before the front came by. The CG overflew us and released the video to the Corpus Christi TV news. I had spent about a month in Port Aransas getting the boat ready so a lot of people knew me and began calling my wife who fortunately for her and me was not home to answer the calls. That was the last we saw of the CG. The pilot, on departure from the area, told us the Mexican Navy would be out to pick us up(oh, oh) and would arrive onsite at 1400. At about 1330 we recieved a call from the OPAL QUEEN, a 4 yr old 800'+ tanker. They were 8 miles off and had us on radar and wanted to know if we still requiered assistance. We told them of the rescue plans. My eternal thantk goes out to the Capt for contacting the CG to verify because the Mexican navy did not leave port because it was too far away(yep, thats right). We motored in reverse to the ship when it came to a near stop. One of my crew was retired CG still working under contract out of the New Orleans office. You may remember a few years ago that a tanker coming down the Mississippi that lost steerage and ended up in the parking garage of the Hilton Hotel. He was in charge of removing the vessel. He warned us of the danger of transfering to the boarding ladder. Miss it and end up in the propellers. It was a climb up the rope ladder for 20' then transfering to the gangway for the nexr 15-20'. When aboard the Capt offered his sat phone so we could call home. I had not wanted to use our phone prefering to a) conserve batteries and b) not wanting to alarm my wife. Well, fortunately I got the answering machine and left a message that all was well so that when she had listened to all the other calls she knew I was well. EPILOGUE: I had had 2 surveys and neither picked up on a totally dry rotted bulkhead between the 2 forward berths. The tabbing evidently let loose leaving the span unsupported and able to flex. The front did indeed move through that nite and the Capt said it was 40+ kts with 10' waves so I feel alright with the decision to abandon ship. The boat has not been seen since and I can only think that it broke up in the storm. It took 8 months to settle insurance. I was contacted by the previous owner of hull 34 and he relayed a similar failure. He was fortunate enough to make it to port and PDQ came down and did the repairs. PDQ in later models put a locker forward of the inner forestay which I assume was to facilitate acess and inspection. If you own an older hull I can't stress hard enough to take the time to inspect this area as I am sure the problem began with water intrusion around the chainplate.
Regards,
Boatless Bob
Bob Johnson
Hull 36045
Peace