400 watt 12v Air-X Marine wind generator

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

400 watt 12v Air-X Marine wind generator

Post by Ed Ellis »

I have a 400 watt 12v Air-X Marine wind generator currently for auction on Ebay.

Item number: 140107171396\t

LINK is:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Feel free to contact me if you have questions.

Cheers, Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

I noticed that you are not selling the mounting kit. Did you replace the Air-X with another wind generator or did you have a unique way of mounting it which does not require the kit? Also, does this sale include a charge controller or the optional stop switch?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Chris,

I have a large bank of solar panels mounted on an arch on the back of my 36 and just don't need the wind generator, I have a Honda eu1000i gas generator to use if it's really needed. Thus, I'm removing the wind generator. The other reason is that I recently had an arch installed on the stern, and it was over-engineered by the metal guy, thus there's more weight back there than I want. Like Doug Most (s/v Attitude), I'm mounting external brackets behind aft transome and am mounting Honda 15s back there. Thus, the weight of the engines will be further aft (still more weight at the stern). The third reason I'm selling the wind gen is to help pay be the new engines.

I planned on selling the mounting kit separately. Without the poles, a new mounting kit sells for about $150 on Ebay, which is highway robbery because the poles will cost at least another $100.

I can sell you the used mounting kit, with poles for $100, plus whatever UPS charges to ship them. The primary pole is aluminum and somewhat scarred up with scratches. The support poles are stainless.

Here is the link if you want to buy a new mounting kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

Usually, the pole and support poles are attached to the deck and have a rubber isolator to stop noise from the generator vibration transfering down into the deck. I was able to mount the support poles, using the rubber isolators to the stern and port rubrails so I didn't have to drill holes in the deck for them. I still had to drill screw holes for the mounts for the main pole.

If you are interested, I can provide a picture showing where the main pole was mounted and instructions for attaching the support poles to the rubrails.

The Air-X Marine has a built in voltage regulator, so you do not need an additional one.

I didn't use the optional stop switch because (a) the Air-X has an auto-stall feature that shuts it down if the wind gets over 35 mph, and (b) when I didn't want the wind gen running. I pulled a string attached to wind gen fin and then pulled it around so the wind gen faced the opposite direction from the wind. This stops it immediately because it has the effect of reversing the blades. I'd then tie it off so the blades would't spin. Probably an auto stop switch would have been a lot easier!

Ed
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility