Importing US reg. PDQ into Canada - Duty?

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Forever
deckhand
deckhand

Importing US reg. PDQ into Canada - Duty?

Post by Forever »

A tax question: I am in the market for a PDQ 36 and as most of them seem to be in the USA, I am wondering if it is necessary to pay anything other than PST to bring one "home" to Canada? Will it be necessary to pay duty or GST to register it for Canadian waters?

On another note, if anyone is aware of any 36's for sale not listed on the forum, I would appreciate knowing or feel free to pass on my contact info:
rob@theforevergroup.com.
Thanks
Rob
Rob French
carib sailor
1st mate
1st mate

Re: Importing US reg. PDQ into Canada - Duty?

Post by carib sailor »

You will have to pay PST and GST on the purchase price as soon as the boat arrives in Canada.
Last edited by carib sailor on Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Check the for sale list at:

www.pdq36.com

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

If you purchase a vessel in Florida, sales tax in due in the state or country where it is going to be registered & titled. Florida allows a 90 day grace period for boating in Florida waters without state registration.

http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/vslfacts.html

This means you can purchase the vessel in Florida (as a non-resident) and have 90 days to leave the state before being considered a Florida boat (requiring sales tax, registration & titling).
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
Cat Tales
admiral
admiral

Post by Cat Tales »

Additional info to my previous post:

From the State of Florida: http://www.flhsmv.gov/dmv/faqboat.html

The purchaser of a new vessel has 30 days in which to apply for registration and title through the county tax collector's office. During this 30-day grace period, the owner is required to have aboard his vessel a bill of sale with proof of the date of purchase.
Chris & Kelly Haretos
Formally of s/v Cat Tales, 36081
Boynton Beach, FL
mckinnv
deckhand
deckhand

Post by mckinnv »

My husband and I purchased "Jane's Heir" (a US registered PDQ36) earlier this year. When we brought the our PDQ36 into Canada at Niagara-on-the-Lake, we had to pay both the GST and PST. We are planning to head south next September when we retire, but until then we wanted to dock the boat close to home. We also wanted the to option of being able to come home on the boat and stay on it here in Ontario if we chose. We have our PDQ (renamed Double Exposure) docked at Port Colborne on Lake Erie as it is one of the few places with a lift big enough to take the boat out for the winter.
Cheers
Vickie & Mike McKinnon
Double Exposure
Vickie & Mike McKinnon
PDQ36057 - Double Exposure
http://mikeandvickiemckinnon.blogspot.com