ANCHOR KELLET

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

ANCHOR KELLET

Post by Marc Gershel »

WANTED; ANCHOR BUDDY or kellet. Before I try to build one I thought I'd see if anyone had one for sale.
Marc 267-250-7290
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Re: ANCHOR KELLET

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

I used a 10-15 lb mushroom anchor, a carbiner hook and a length of line.... worked great.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

hmm, Thanks Ron. I might have one buried in my garage. I actually thought I would need something heavier.
Marc
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

This brings back memories... anchored in Pipe Creek in the Exumas...bad current so I had an anchor off each bow...one forward and one aft, each with a kellet on the line.... Every morning it was an experience to untangle the mess..
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

I'm not sure I would use one, not for free.

In surging conditions the kellet will simply flip around, causing more trouble than it solves.
In strong wind (4o knots and up), the chain goes striaght, kellet or no. In winds less that 40 knots, your regular anchor should hold.

The best answer, proven many times in both theory and practice, is to go up one size in anchor. Chain can make it easier to set, but at the end of the day it is the anchor and scope that determine maximum holding. Kellets are an obsolete answer.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

We were in Pipe creek also. One 35lb Delta with ALL chain rode. No problems at all. We used 100 ft. of chain, setting out 70-80 ft with a nylon triple twist bridle. Once it was firmly set in a sand bottom we never experience dragging. We did have problems with plow anchors in soft mud bottoms and used a Fortress in those conditions.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Marc Gershel
admiral
admiral

Post by Marc Gershel »

Thanks for the replies.
I use about 40' of chain, and the rest is nylon. I've had quite a few instances in wind vs. current, where the boat did not swing to the wind, and the rode got caught on the keel. Most of the time I would get off OK, usually with considerable work. My last episode I wasn't so lucky. The rode cut a notch into my keel. I was anchored behind Reedy Is. on Del. Bay. My thinking was that a kellet would hold the nylon rode deep enough below the keel in those conditions. Does that sound like it might help in that situation?
Marc
Tanah-Keeta
admiral
admiral

Post by Tanah-Keeta »

Yes Marc,
That was exactly why I used the kellets.....and it worked well. I too had a cut in my keel from an anchor line.

Thankfully my 34 does not have that problem. The kellet is rusting away in a forward locker.
Ron McDaniel
TK III 34108
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

And that is one good reason to use a kellet.

a. Previously I had 30' of chain and a heavy chain plate on my bridle apex. That was always enough to keep the rode down in those swirly conditions. It may take far less mass than you think, and the best place to secure it may be the apex of your bridle. Probably just a few pounds.

b. All chain will also solve the problem.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html