PDQ 32/34, Shoal Survivor -- Sold!

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

PDQ 32/34, Shoal Survivor -- Sold!

Post by thinwater »

Sold. I hope the new owners will actively join this forum, as they come across questions I can't answer and as they gain wisdom and experiences worth sharing. I know Shoal Survivor has a LOT of miles and years left in her. Meanwhile, I'm exploring the possibilities of my new-to-me F-24 trimaran. A surprising amount is the same (masthead instruments, two of the winches, traveller, genoa cars), and a lot is different (centerboard, only 1500 pounds, laminate sails).

---------

A broad tramp makes for comfortable lounging, under sail or at anchor.

As you well know, PDQ yachts are known for superior quality, durability, and ability in heavy going. Quality resins, synthetic cores, vacuum-bagged construction, and strategic use of carbon fiber insure both light weight and freedom from delamination and blistering. Systems are well thought out, designed for easy maintenance, and carefully installed. Unlike the "price point” the boats they often compete with, these were built with years of bulletproof, reliable service in mind; if quality is important to you, this PDQ will make you happy.Image
Ready for a tropical holiday?

Within the PDQ 32 family, this 1997 PDQ 32 is among the most thoughtfully tweaked, including important upgrades including:

•Extended transoms. This added two feet create a swim and boarding platform, adding enjoyment for the kids and accessibility for mature sailors. It makes a wonderful parking zone for water toys, and older and disabled sailors will appreciate safe dinghy boarding. The additional length also reduces pitching and increases speed.
• Professionally installed air conditioning and heating. Cool surroundings make summer civilized, and heat extends spring and fall cruising, the best of the year.
• Extended and faired keels. Improved tacking and windward ability.
• Inside genoa sheeting tracks. Combined with the above improvements, this makes her the fastest PDQ 32.
Many of the repairs and upgrades to this boat have been documented in over 75 article published in Practical Sailor and Good Old Boat Magazine. Many additional projects and tips are published on the blog, above, and my books.

For complete specifications and a complete description, please visit my blog at:
http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/p/pdq ... -sale.html

The hull extensions make for easy boarding and a better ride.

Many of you know me as a long time and frequent contributor to this forum. I have no intention of going away or of turning off my blog. I have too many PDQ owners as friends and too much equity in this great brand to let it go. My reasons for selling have nothing to do with PDQ. It is all the cruising catamaran I would ever want—strong, fast, good with a small family, and easy to handle on my own as well. My next boat will likely be in a completely different direction, because I need a new adventure. You’ll see.

With the slider open, the sallon is bright and airy, with 270 degree views.

I'm going to miss this boat.
Last edited by thinwater on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Writing full time since 2014.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
Book Store. http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/2017/ ... store.html
Phenix-former-owner
Site Admin

Re: PDQ 32/34, Shoal Survivor, For Sale

Post by Phenix-former-owner »

Good luck, Drew. I'd buy it but I already have one!! lol
--
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Post by thinwater »

^^ Me too. I'm going on a last trip in two days and I'm hoping I don't change my mind.
"Rigging Modern Anchors,"Seaworthy Press, https://www.amazon.com/Rigging-Modern-A ... 1948494078
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 32/34, Shoal Survivor -- Sold!

Post by thinwater »

Now that she's all polished up, I've had to start wearing sunglasses.

Last edited by thinwater on Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Post by Iriemon »

Wow, after years of reading you rave about your 32, I'm completely taken aback. I'm curious about your different direction, and why you felt your 32 wasn't the boat for that direction.

But best wishes for your sale and future decisions. I for one am very much appreciative of all your posts, comments and articles particularly relating to the PDQ 32 and sailing in general. If this were a couple years ago (before I bought my 32), I'd be first in line to take a look at her and make an offer.
thinwater
admiral
admiral

Re: PDQ 32/34, Shoal Survivor -- Sold!

Post by thinwater »

Everyone seems to be asking "why are you selling?" I obviously like the boat and I obviously am very involved in sailing. The answer is complicated and gets into what life is about for me. I will no doubt answer at greater length in my blog and perhaps in articles, but the basics are these:

* My daughter is finishing grad school, so we just don't do the same family and friends cruising that we started when she was about 8.
* I've done the cruising I wanted to do with that boat. Been everyplace I like multiple times.
* I'm not learning anymore from the boat. Handling the boat has become as familiar as pulling on my shoes, and it is the learning process I enjoy. That is why I am always testing things.
* I've tweaked this boat as far as I want to. I like to study a boat and then decide how to upgrade her in subtle ways, always endeavoring to maintain a factory look and feel. Nothing should look pasted on and the changes should work with the original design (which in the case of the PDQ 32 is pretty darn good). Though I could probably point out 100 small changes, the most important ones were revised settee bunks, winterization fittings, inside genoa tracks, Heat, AC, modified keels, and 2' transom extensions. A lot of this is on my blog, but some has also been reserved for Practical Sailor or Good Old Boat. If you want to tweak a boat sensibly, you should subscribe to both of these. They both good search functions, particularly PS.

I am in no way satisfied with the PDQ 32 and Shoal Survivor specifically. If I wanted a cruising cat for where and how I sail, I would be looking to buy exactly this boat. She's fast, durable, roomy, seaworthy in a blow, and easy to singlehand. She's tweaked exactly the way I want her. I don't think there is another cruising cat that would make me happier, and I'm including some pretty fancy rides. I trust her to go anywhere, any time.

I will be getting another boat and soon. It will back to my performance multihull roots. I see myself a little bit as the older Englishman in the flat hat and the open top sports car. I sold my SUV and bought a Mazda 3 (zoom). The focus will be daysailing with a few solo overnights. Yup, I'll tweaking it. Speed will be one thing, but this time I will be more interested in nimble handling for the singlehander. I want something "fun." Unfortunately, this means giving up a meaningful cabin and (gasp) a real toilet. Damn. I've got a dry suit for winter.

------

I have no intention of leaving this forum. I have too many friends here. I will maintain my blog. After all, it started when I have Stiletto 27. I will maintain some PDQ stuff like the Word version of the owner's manual. But the way I see it, a new boat should help invigorate my writing, opening up some new topics. An who knows. In 10 years I might be looking for a PDQ again. Sailing is sailing.

But I'm not going to be one of those sad sailors that has a boat at the dock that doesn't get used but a few times a year. If I'm not sailing her every week or two, year round, it's time for someone else to love her and for me to find another boat to love. I could never stand to see a boat just sit.

I thought the PDQ was going to be my retirement boat. I really did. Good quality and would do everything I wanted. However, I have owned three boats, each for 10 years, and I think I think that is simply my nature. Thankfully, I do not feel that way about my wife, which is my constant.