Safety Equipment Sharing

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Safety Equipment Sharing

Post by Ed Ellis »

Two expensive safety items that are rarely used is a para-anchor and EPIRB. Since I only need these in the summer when I do long range cruising, it seems to me that those of you who do their cruising in the winter may be interested in a co-ownership arrangement. I could either buy into co-ownership if you already own either of these or we might co-purchase new ones. I realize this is a long shot, but this might be a really good idea ...
If interested, message me at: edwinellis@charter.net
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
ThomKat
1st mate
1st mate

EPIRB Sharing

Post by ThomKat »

Ed,

The idea of sharing an EPIRB is interesting, but might be a bit impractical to actually accomplish. Generally, EPIRBs are registered to a specific individual and/or boat. Additionally, as part of the registration process, you are requested to provide names of at least two individuals who would be aware of your underway activities. Should a signal from your EPIRB be received, NOAA or a delegate would immediately attempt to contact you or one of the persons you've listed to verify that you are actually underway, i.e., it's not an accidental activation.

It should be quite easy to check things out through NOAA Satellite, Data and Information Services - their toll-free number in Suitland, MD is 888-212-7283.

Good luck and fair winds!

Tom Walker
Vero Beach FL
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Oh well... seemed like a good idea at the time. Anyone care to cost-share a para-anchor?
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility