Don't you feel lost?

Use this forum to list items you have for sale or items you want to buy.
Ronald

Don't you feel lost?

Post by Ronald »

I have been lurking on this board for quite some time. I am a mono hull sailor who considered jumping the fence. The PDQ 34/36 appealed to me but I have since decided I am much better off to stick with what I have. Quite obviously, PDQ has decided that the money is in the PDQ powercat range and the 44 sailing cat. This means, they concentrate on where they think the money is. Never mind their beginnings and models which were affordable to "the average kind of sailor". You guys are no longer important to PDQ because you don't have the money to spend on a 44.
So what do you think? Is PDQ a dying breed for the average sailor? Let's be frank. Who can afford a PDQ44!? I am sure not very many. Flame away...Cheers, Ronald
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

PDQ line

Post by doubledutch »

I think you will find that PDQ still has great appreciation for the fleet of boats that they produced in the past. The man in charge is a sailor / designer who clearly appreciates sailing catamarans however he must also run a business that needs to make money to survive. I think most manufacturers have found it hard to make money on the smaller cats and as a result you will find few boats being produced in the under 40 foot length these days. This is in some ways good news for owners of 32s and 36s as the laws of supply and demand will ensure they hold good value.
I think PDQ have targetted a nich with their 44 sail cat focussing on buyers who want a superior product rather than fighting for market share with the big producers. Numerous monohull companies have done the same thing.
With their power cat PDQ are simply leading the way with a terrific product. Not something to be criticised.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

PDQ and Production

Post by SecondWind »

PDQ has done an outstanding job in support of owners of 36 and 32 sailing cats. As a PDQ 36 owner, I have had nothing but a positive experience with PDQ. And by the way, this forum is for people who own or have an interest in owning a PDQ. Have a general gripe-write to Cruising World! Just my 2-cents worth.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
Allezcat
admiral
admiral

Post by Allezcat »

To the Cave-Dweller,

Broaden your horizons and test sail a used PDQ 36. You will find a quality built boat with great performance and comfort.

Chet
Allezcat 36010 (1991)
Ed Ellis
admiral
admiral

Post by Ed Ellis »

Ronald,

Yes, I agree that PDQs are not for average sailors, but they never were. They've always been among the pricest boats in their class. I don't know where you got the idea that they were made cheaply so average folks could sail a cat. If you want average, sail a Gemini.

With the exception of the Gemini 34, a pretty good boat for coastal cruisers, literally all of the cat-builders that once made cats in the 30' range are now building the much bigger boats or no longer build any cats. This is because sailing cats are exceptionally expensive to build, and are no longer profitable in the 30' range. Relatively speaking, bluewater cats in the 30' range cost considerably more per foot to build than the larger cats.

The reason why the Gemini is still being produced is that the boat is lightweight, with lightweight inexpensive gear, and is mass produced for the coastal market. Gemini was building hundreds a year, whereas PDQ would produce less than 10 of a similar sized, but different quality boat. I'm not knocking Gemini, but that boat is not appropriate for the kind of sailing most PDQ owners do.

The primary reason however, that companies like PDQ discontinued making the smaller cats is because the orders for smaller cats have dropped significantly while at the same time, orders for the larger cats increased significantly. So if you were in the boat building business, what would you do?

Personally, I'm very glad to have gotten my PDQ 36 before they stopped making them. Maybe you feel like you lost out on something really cool...

By the way, when you eventually get around to trying to sell your mono, be sure and come back to this forum and give us an update on how it's going. We'd just love to hear about it.
Ed & Linda Ellis
Tranquility
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

As a previous monohull sailor, I am interested in why you think that you are "much better off to stick with what you have". Maybe you are a racer who loves that helm feel that many miss when they sail a catamaran. Maybe you like the thrill of "burying the rail", something I can no longer do. Or maybe you like being able to pull into any slip the marina has available. Who knows.

Now for the real deal. Trampolines, sugar scoop stern steps, real davits, loads of living space, separate living quarters for the kids/guests, shallow draft, sailing flat, not tying everything down, twin screws, fast, bow seats, cockpit space, and resale value. Oh and then there is the view of my wife sunbathing in her bikini on the trampolines while we are sailing. Now that is reason enough for me to love catamarans. I am never going back.

And you won't either once you come over...

But if and when you do, be prepared to be part of the best and most helpful sailing family on the water.
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
Ronald

Follow-up on my original post

Post by Ronald »

Thank you doubledutch, Allezcat, Ed Ellis, Lady of the Lake for all the comments. Interesting, appreciated. Second Wind, relax, I have no gripes with PDQ, they are great vessels. My post was just an observation of facts. With the exception of the 44, the PDQ sailing catamaran is a dying breed. Sorry if this statement upsets someone. On the other hand, as doubledutch said, this is also kind of good for current owners because values will be holding-up for a while. FWIW, so you know where I am, I do own a 1989 Nauticat 40 Ketch. She is an ocean-going vessel and I have crossed the Atlantic on her. Very safe, very sound, despite of 60 knots sustained winds in the Bay of Biscay. You would not do that trip in a PDQ. On the other hand, you can gunkhole in places I can't. So there are pros and cons. Like always. Fair winds to you all! Cheers, Ronald s/v Bremer Speck http://www.bremerspeck.com and http://www.nauticatphotocontest.com