Mast Splice

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the PDQ Capella.
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Mast Splice

Post by NautiBits »

Hi folks!

I've got a contract on the 2000 36 Classic in Corpus. :D

It is pending a satisfactory survey. One thing I had not seen before (which includes nearly everything sailboaty :P ) is a mast joined as depicted in the attached pic. This joint is about four feet up from the step.

Is this normal?

Thanks,

Joe Mc
Attachments
Mast repair.pdf
Both sides typical
(153.16 KiB) Downloaded 652 times
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
doubledutch
admiral
admiral

Re: Mast Splice

Post by doubledutch »

I was not able to open your attachment however I can tell you that when PDQ increased the mast height on the PDQ32 they added a four foot section with an internal sleeve and rivets. My boat is a 1999 and the splice seems good as new. Possibly the 36 has the same splice?

Henry
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Henry, that is reassuring.

I wasn't able to upload the pic as a jpg. The system allowed me to load it as a pdf though. Normally AdobeReader will open it.

Did the image display for anyone?

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Yes, the pdf opened for me, had to save the attachment and open from Adobe Reader. Here it is as a jpg. You can save as jpg just make sure the file is not huge. And after import, select "place inline" and the person viewing will not need to DL first.

Sam
Mast repair.jpg
Mast repair.jpg (71.95 KiB) Viewed 19105 times
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Sam!!

It was a hi-res piccy. Hopefully I'll get a couple of replies that say "Yep, that's what mine looks like! We went through the Queen's Birthday Storm frontwards and backwards without an issue!! Huzzahhhh!!"

:wink:

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

That is exactly like the mast on our PDQ. We haven't broken it yet! :)

Mike
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Thanks Mike!!

I'm starting to feel pretty good about this. Okay, that's a lie. I'm ecstatic. :D

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Hey Mike,

That splice is clearly visible in this great video you posted: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAEsliTt ... e=youtu.be

Gorgeous!!
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
mikeandrebecca
admiral
admiral

Post by mikeandrebecca »

hehe... I suppose it is. See, I told you we haven't broken it yet.
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Joe,
I have two pdq 36's ( I know....)
This looks like the mast on the "Tall Rig" option model. They couldn't ship the full mast due to length and it would be spliced on site (I think James Power told me this).
Are you sure this isn't the tall rig?

Brendan
PDQ 36052 - 1996 LRC - "Anne Z" - Chicago
and 2001 PDQ 36 Classic (Tall Rig)- "Cat Tales" - Punta Gorda, FL
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Hi Brendan,

It may be the tall rig. Admittedly, between my lack of expertise and the PO sailing in the great beyond, my due diligence is a tad blurry. Hence, my appearance on this forum. I will definitely know for sure within the next six months(or so).

At this point, I am confident that PDQ designed and built an exceptional vessel. It does not appear to be abused or neglected. I have seen PDQs in this condition. I am hopeful that manuals and other important information will migrate from wherever they are to the boat. It is unlikely that the widow will withhold anything that belongs with the boat.

For instance, the engines are listed as 2-stroke 8 hp version. I think they are more likely the sexy 4-stroke, electric-tilt, 8s that some PDQs sport. Either way, there are engines in the pods now. No carbs though!! Grrrrrr....where would the PO stash the carbs.....I have got to get to that garage...soon...I will be calling every shop in town if they aren't found...

2 PDQs!?! You sir, are a knower of stuff. I'll be back!

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
Lady of the Lake
Site Admin

Post by Lady of the Lake »

Joe,
Check my other site for lots of documentation for the PDQs:

www.pdq36.com

You should find most of what you are looking for including owners manuals etc.

I suspect you have the 4 stroke Yamaha 9.9s in the vessel, that is what almost everyone uses.

Also, I may have some clean rebuilt carbs for the Yamaha 9.9s if you are interested.

Sam
Sam and Gina Densler
s/v Lady of the Lake
PDQ36 Hull #15
Punta Gorda, FL
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Joe,
You almost certainly have the tall rig. My Florida boat has the tall rig and the Chicago boat has the standard rig. The tall rig measures about 54.5 feet off the water. Just tie a cheap line to the halyard and measure. The tall rig is great for light winds, but you need to reef early in heavy stuff. Also, the tall rig will not get under certain Florida bridges (Okeechobee, etc). But it seems that you're in Texas, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Brendan
NautiBits
admiral
admiral

Post by NautiBits »

Sam,

Thank ya man. I've been dredging the other site for two years now. Good stuff and tunege(sounds like toon edge) too!!

Brendan,

You are starting to answer questions I had no idea was possible. So, now I have a 36 with a tall rig and sexy 8hp, power tiltable, engines that may. or may not. work without carbs. I've got to get back down to that boat before the survey on Friday. Texas is a big mo frappe! You drive forever to get nowhere. The winter here was a whole lot better than up in Rochester, NY though(like Chi Town, grey and bone-chillin cold). I'll probably stay in Corpus for a year, then start heading East. Then maybe East some more, or perhaps West.

Thanks everybody!! More questions coming!!

Joe Mc
Joe & Deb
s/v Cat's Meow
2000 Classic 36086
chicagocat
admiral
admiral

Post by chicagocat »

Joe,
Judging from the picture, you also have the Tides Marine sail track system installed on that mast, which is a nice addition. It makes getting the main up and down much easier since friction is reduced. It would cost a few hundred bucks top install yourself and is really necessary for the tall rig.

Regarding the survey, there are a few classic issues that can happen with a PDQ. These are all minor compared to most other boats, so don't worry, but you should be aware of them when you survey the boat.

First, in the front cabins, pull the mattresses off and check for moisture on the bed or the wall. The baby mast stay right above the cabins can allow water in if it isn't properly bedded. If you suspect the baby stay base is leaking, have one person use a hose on it above, while another stays in the cabins and looks for water.

Second, in the bow storage lockers (near the anchor, and similar) there should be one or two inspection ports in each locker. One may be on the floor of the locker and one on the inside wall of each locker. If one or both of these isn't present, don't worry. They exist on some boats and not others. Open these ports and make sure the watertight spaces inside are dry. If not, it isn't the end of the world, just make sure you check for soft fiberglass.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Brendan