Rust in condensation pan

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Rust in condensation pan

Post by lgeller »

I am the proud new owner of a PDQ 34, formerly Cats Paw and Aubrey Ann - her new name is PLUSH TOY and she will be kept at my home in Lighthouse Point Florida.

I have had a lot of fun tinkering with the boat over the past few months, and the "training" given to me by Dick Tuschick has gone a long way to making me comfortable with the boat.

While servicing the air conditioners, I noted that there is a lot of rust in the pans. I flushed it out as best I could, but I was thinking about taking the units out of the boat, scraping them down and repainting them. Has anyone done this or found a better way to control this rust? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Larry
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Rust in condensation pan

Post by duetto »

hi larry,

welcome aboard!

i would suggest contacting manufacturer (cruiseair?...not near boat) and see if you can get the ss version of the pan. i did it about 5 years ago. pan is/was about $100. after you remove the unit, you can just grind off rivets, carefully lift out everything as one piece (ithink it's really 3), lower into new pan, re-rivet. it was not as big a job as i had anticipated.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lgeller »

Great idea. Thanks!
Mary & Roger
admiral
admiral

Post by Mary & Roger »

Hi Larry, they make a plastic pan also.
Roger on Teamwork
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks,
This is a problem that we will all face sooner or later as the design and materials used in the Cruisair units was less than ideal.
Beth Simkins is attempting to establish a relationship with the Cruisair folks so that we can do a bulk purchase of the new SS pans (plastic ones will not fit) and new units and save us all a lot of $$. James and Jackie will become the "experts" in addressing this issue ie replacing the pans or replacing the entire units. Stay tuned for more info on this subject.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Post by SecondWind »

I had this problem and removed the AC units from the boat, carefully fiber-glassed the pans making sure to keep the drains open and re-installed the units.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind
AbbotsfordIII
deckhand
deckhand

Post by AbbotsfordIII »

I am in need of a replacement pan, at least on my forward Cruisair A/C, (if it is still salvagable!).

Doug Kerr
Abbotsford III, PDQ 34, #41
Anchored Dewees Creek, enroute Charleston, SC