center cutlass bng.

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
teamwork
skipper
skipper

center cutlass bng.

Post by teamwork »

Teamwork took the plunge and went to Stuart Yacht and had them work on install the center cutlass bng. WOW, it's like a completely new boat. No vibrations at all at 3800 RPM'S, and dry bilges. Also installed new bilge pumps, rudder packing, and changed all exhaust system hose clamps, and a softer exhaust pipe.
Roger on Teamwork
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Re: center cutlass bng.

Post by jim »

How do others who have had their cutless bearings installed feel about how it has affected their boats?
mckdj12
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

one of the most important improvements we've made to duetto.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

Gusto had the intermediate bearings installed with the same results as Teamwork. My advice is do it.

Bob on Gusto
jim
1st mate
1st mate

Post by jim »

What has to be done for lubrication of the bearing and to prevent overheating ? Jim
mckdj12
teamwork
skipper
skipper

Post by teamwork »

The same hose/water that cooled the aft one takes care of both. Roger on Teamwork
DickTuschick
skipper
skipper

Post by DickTuschick »

Hi Folks, I felt I should add my two cents worth here.
We had Stuart Yacht install the mid-bearings last year as well. We did this as an experiment to see if there really was an improvement. I our case, there was no change in the boat after installation. However, it must be noted that we had paid particular attention to the alignment of the engines in prior years and if your engines are properly aligned there should be no difference. Engine alignment is not an easy job, particularly without the mid-bearings. The problem is that the shaft is so long that it will naturally "sag" between the cutlass bearing and the engine coupling thus making precise alignment very difficult. Only a very experienced mechanic will get it right and they are hard to find. Once the mid-bearing is installed however, the shaft is then held at two points providing a solid shaft to which it is much easier to do the alignment. Bottom line is that I think it is a good upgrade to the boat that allows the mechanic to do a much more precise job in the alignment.