Capsized PDQ SV 32 in 2000

PDQ issues applicable across all PDQ Yachts (or if you can't find a place for something, it probably belongs here for now)
Ross Bowling
admiral
admiral

Capsized PDQ SV 32 in 2000

Post by Ross Bowling »

July 4,2000 a PDQ 32 capsized off the Northern Ca Coast, and there was much chatter about the sea worthyness of our boats. Well, last week while cruising my MV 34 on San Francisco Bay I stumbled across the boat that flipped, spoke with the brother of the gal that owned to boat. The boat was salvaged by the owners brother, still sits without a mast in Marina Bay Yacht Harbor in Richmond, and heard the story of the event. Basically Many people including her brother told the owner not to go out into the storm that was approaching. The owner was WAY IN OVER HER HEAD, without the necessary experience to not only get her boat through the storm, but even to get the boat home in better conditions.

BTW, the current owner ( the brother ) is trying to turn the boat into a PowrCat. I think Crazy runs in the family, he wants to add a Tesla Auto Engine!

So now you know the, "Rest of the Story"
Ross Bowling
Iriemon
skipper
skipper

Re: Capsized PDQ SV 32 in 2000

Post by Iriemon »

I think the capsize was in 2010, not 2000.

Thanks for the update, everything I've read about this incident corroborates with your post.
SecondWind
admiral
admiral

Re: Capsized PDQ SV 32 in 2000

Post by SecondWind »

"Brother" was on a three boat cruise to the Bahamas in 2005. He lost his engine overboard from a bad mount installation in the middle of the Gulfstream and was forced to sail back to Ft. Lauderdale and abandon the trip. He was not sailing a PDQ, the other two were. We were among those who suggested not continuing on the nearly fatal trip off of the California coast.
Terry Green
s/v Second Wind