wiper arms?

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
duetto
admiral
admiral

wiper arms?

Post by duetto »

hi all,

one of our wiper arm's socket has corroded away so i will need to replace it and probably the grooved knob that is attached to the motor shaft. does anyone know: 1) the make and model of the arm 2) if that knob is available separately.

thanks in advance,
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Re: wiper arms?

Post by deising »

I can't answer your question completely, but I recently had to replace one entire wiper motor assembly. Getting the arm off was difficult because of corrosion on the fine-splined shaft and socket on the arm. With the arm off, I used a small triangular file to carefully clean out the splines of the shaft and arm socket and used anti-seize during installation.

I mention this because perhaps you can dress up the splines on the shaft and be OK with a new arm. I really doubt the shaft is replaceable by itself. I have no idea what part number to use for the arm itself.

Good luck.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hey Duetto,

The wiper motor and arm are made by AFI / Marinco. The arm is a pantographic 17"-22". West Marine sells them, part # 233846. When replacing the arm its a good idea to coat the shaft spline and arm socket with an anti corrosive paste such as Tef Gel. As far as I know the splined knob is part of the motor shaft and so hopefully you can clean it up as Duane mentioned. Fresh water rinsing the arms frequently will prolong their life.

Hope this helps
James
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi guys,

thanks for the replies. i've gotten stuff apart, spoken to afi tech support, and ordered the arm (ours is a 16" - #33032A). will re-assemble after christmas.

i've done a writeup on project so far and will post when finished.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi all,

i just finished this job. there was a little curveball. i got the wrong part. james powers was correct. part # is west # 233846 or afi 33037A. on our boat, hull 23 a 2003, pdq had not extended the arms all the way out, whereas on "teamwork", a 2005, they had them fully extended.

given that we were in the bahamas there was no sending them back. what we discovered is that the only difference is the lengths of the ss arm and ss rod. the rod just unscrews but the arm has a stop and a securing rivet. we drilled the rivet out and swapped the old parts into the new pivoting parts. works like a charm.

as suggested we liberally coated everything with waterproof grease.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Does anyone have the part number for the wiper motor? AFI Marinco show several choices and there is no visible number on the motor. Trying to keep from taking the old one off until the new part is in hand.

Thanks,
Rafe
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

hi rafe,

if you email or call these guys (800.307.6702 or technical@marinco.com) they will tell you what you have and what the equivalent is currently. i assume you have the same as us (4 stipes on the cover). if so it's a heavy duty motor.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Thanks John, will do.
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
Cat Daddy
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Cat Daddy »

Just a follow up, the replacement motor is Marinco/ AFI # 71082. Our boat is a 2003, hull #32. The original motor had 4 "lines" embossed in the plastic cover. The replacement is a two speed motor, use the low speed connection. It is also a bit thicker making the cover not seat completely.
Rafe Williams
"Cat Daddy"
MV34 #32
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Re: wiper arms and motors

Post by lgeller »

As a result of non use the wiper motors on plush toy are dead along with the wiper arms

Does anyone have info on direct replacements? Amazon has an AFI 1000 that looks exact. But that seems too easy and I also need the arms

Any info appreciated
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

We just had to have one of our wiper motors replaced. The new one came with a wiper arm. I'll check on the brand/model and get back to you.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229
lgeller
1st mate
1st mate

Post by lgeller »

Does anyone know the sweep and shaft length that our boats use? There are several options on the 1000.

Thank you.
duetto
admiral
admiral

Post by duetto »

see james power's answer above as to part #. i'm guessing angle is about 30 degrees.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
James Power
admiral
admiral

Post by James Power »

Hi All,

The sweep angle is 80 degrees and shaft length is 2.5 inches. On a side note the sweep angle can be adjusted to 50, 65, 80 and 110 degrees, and can be set to park to the left or right by changing the linkages inside the motor housing. My motor numbers on file are 71012 for a 110 sweep, and 71082 has the 80 degree sweep. Also have old AFI / Marinco motor numbers of 1000 and 34000 and 1.5. They seem to change part numbers every few years as well as each time the company is bought up by another. Quite confusing...

Hope this helps
James
AMCarter3
admiral
admiral

Post by AMCarter3 »

One serious issue to watch for... when we replaced one wiper motor last month, we finally discovered the source of why it burned out (the wires were totally fried). After installing the new motor, our maint. tech guy noticed that the motor was drawing over 4 amps. It has a 5 amp fuse and should draw only 3 amps, so he was rightly concerned. After quite a bit of digging around, he discovered that the HOLE in the wall for the motor shaft had been drilled out ON A SLIGHT ANGLE. That angle created friction/drag on the shaft... enough to strain the motor, slow down the blade cycle and eventually burn out the motor. It was a FIRE hazard. Who knew?

He re-drilled the hole and the new motor pulls 3 amps now.
Mac Carter
2006 34' PDQ PowerCat "All Heart"; MV 98; twin 100 HP Yanmars
Home Port: Bellingham WA 98229