Nut holding rudder shaft should be checked

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
leloopeur
deckhand
deckhand

Nut holding rudder shaft should be checked

Post by leloopeur »

I want to report that I recently had the packing of my PDQ 34 rudders changed, after I had noticed leaks oozing from the top of the rudder shafts, inside the 2 hulls. The work was done by Ocean Gate Yacht Basin, NJ. While doing it, they noticed that the big nut that holds the rudder shaft in place, on the starboard side, was severely cracked. Had the nut broken and become separated from the shaft, I suppose I would have lost my rudder... and had to deal with a serious case of water in the bilge.
The boatyard was very surprised, and had no other example of such an incident. The only possible explanation they could think of was an over-tightening of the nut in some distant past.
I would suggest to PDQ 34 owners an inspection of that nut whenever they feel inclined to crawl in there.
Happy cruising to all.
Jacques
Nelly Grangé Cabane
Jacques Kreitmann
m/v Magic
duetto
admiral
admiral

Re: Nut holding rudder shaft should be checked

Post by duetto »

hi jacques,

i believe there is a bolt which passes through the shaft and i think this would prevent losing a rudder.
john & diane cummings
duetto mv34 #23
deising
admiral
admiral

Post by deising »

Thanks, Jacques!

I really appreciate when someone takes the time to post things to help others.

Keep enjoying your Loop.
Duane Ising
m/v Diva Di
Punta Gorda, FL
2006 PDQ MV 34 - hull 91, 75HP, 3-blade
leloopeur
deckhand
deckhand

Post by leloopeur »

I realize that my "tecnhical" explanations are somewhat hazy. A good photo would have helped I'm sure, but unfortunately I forgot to take one. I'm going to check if the chief mechanic has put the piece aside, just in case, though I doubt it. Of course if I'm lucky I'l post the picture here.
Safe travels,
Jacques
Nelly Grangé Cabane
Jacques Kreitmann
m/v Magic