Air Conditioner Replacement

Post here if you want to discuss a topic specific to the MV/32, MV/34, and MV/41.
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Air Conditioner Replacement

Post by AlanH »

We the same rust problem in the pans of both a/c units that has been written about before on the forum. The bottom of the compressors are also rusty. No leaks yet but I am planning to go ahead and replace the salon unit and maybe both. I don't think replacing the pan would be a great option with the Compressor all rusted.

My question is for those of you that have replaced the salon unit, what did you go with? Our current unit is a Cruisair 18,000 BTU unit. The only 18K 115 volt unit I have found is a Dometic (owns Cruisair). DCU18K - Dometic Compact Unit / 115V 60Hz - 18,000 BTUs. There are other options but only a max BTU of 16K. Have any of you used a 16K? If so, what brand and does it provide enough cooling? I do live in Florida so cooling demand is high.

Thanks,

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Re: Air Conditioner Replacement

Post by AlanH »

Help please. I didn't get any replies to this post.

We need to replace the salon a/c unit. Ours is a 18,000 BTU CruiseAir. I can only find one 115 volt 18K BTU unit and it is a Dometic which now owns CruiseAir. It does not come with a control head. The unit is rather expensive. There are several 16,000 BTU units available, including a Dometic, for about $1,500 less and they come with the control head. I don't want to undersize but I also hate to throw away money.

Has anyone replaced there salon unit? If so what did you go with?

Any help would be appreciated.

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines
sailkane
skipper
skipper

Post by sailkane »

I cleaned and sprayed a rust inhibitor ( the type that turns the rust into a hardened metal) . That has held us for the last 5 years no problems.
I don’t think the 18 is enough during our Bahamas trips can’t see why you would go down?

If it is working clean and spray....wait till it goes.
wrnole
deckhand
deckhand

Post by wrnole »

Our boat came with Dometic 16,000 BTU in the main salon and 7,000 BTU for the aft berths. We replaced the main salon unit because of rust with the same size Dometic unit. I believe the 16,000 BTU was standard equipment for the main salon.

Soul Sauce
Hull #24
Wbr2974
1st mate
1st mate

Post by Wbr2974 »

My boat also has a 16k unit and if I could I would definitely get an 18k
I am also in Florida and the 16k barely cools the boat even with all the windows covered.
If you can I would go with the 18k... too hot down here.

Mv34 075
Gusto
skipper
skipper

Post by Gusto »

James expertly replaced both AC units last year with the Dometic products. I think the BTU's were the same as the originals. We live in Florida. The units easily cool the boat. BIG upgrade. Maybe you could get James to do yours. He's good!

Bob MacNeill
Gusto mv #83 or maybe it's #84. Who cares. :)
AlanH
admiral
admiral

Post by AlanH »

Thank you all for the input.

I also heard separately from James Power. Perhaps our boat was unusual with an 18K unit. James says he has replaced multiple with 16K. I did some more measuring and the only 18K 115 volt available is probably not going to fit as it is 1.5 inches taller than the one we currently have.

We are going to go with the 16K in the salon and 7K in the staterooms.

Thanks again,

Alan
Alan Hendry
Catbo
2006 34' Hull #81
75hp engines